1982 evinrude 9.9 crankshaft assembly question.

domaotc

Seaman Apprentice
I have the crankshaft out of my 1982 Evinrude 9.9 hp and I'm wondering if I should be able to spin the lower crankshaft bearing assembly by hand? It doesn't move which I hope is the right answer.

Also, I notice that the "Bearing Set" for this motor is "Obsolete"; does this mean I can only get parts used on ebay or is there some manufacturer out there who makes after market parts?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1982 evinrude 9.9 crankshaft assembly question.

The lower bearing should spin very easily with just one finger !

raczekp1

Lieutenant

lower bearing is cheap and easy to find.
get new one
rod bearings and midle bearing are the same(except envelop)

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Lower bearing OMC #0385173 sells for $22, or take the old one, clean it up so you can ID the numbers & take it to a automotive parts store where they can cross-reference the number.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

I install a standard 204 bearing.-Available for about $5.00 locally here.

domaotc

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the input! I sprayed some kroil in it and worked it back and force until it broke free (lots of rusty fluid), but I'm guessing it still needs to be replaced. I like the idea of using something "off the shelf" if the quality is the same.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Don't you dare try to use that rusty one. You'll just be tearing it down again when it destructs. "Off the shelf" quality of course depends on who made it. Brands such as SKF are very good and can be trusted. Something made in some unheard of country? Well, you pays your money and you takes your chances.

In the mfg plant where I worked, we tested two bearings made in China, same numbers & applications. One was fine, other failed. That's OK if you have a laboratory to test them.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

FR you should see what happens to the chinese made utes here. Great Wall of China brand, people buy them as they a so cheap but that includes them being cheap on important things like the brake components and steering components...

Id never buy anything for an engine or vehicle from china, looks ok but how they make it is what concerns me.
A ferry here lately had its prop shaft snap off crossing the strait, word hasnt come out yet if the shaft was part of a recent retrofit in asia. If so im listening out as to whether the shaft was made poorly or had impure compounds added

domaotc

Seaman Apprentice

Last question on this subject. I'm just going to purchase the OEM bearing and retaining ring that is available online; do I need any special tool to remove the old/install the new? It "looks" like I just need to remove the Retaining Ring and the bearing just slides off? The manual is not to clear on the subject.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

On that motor it likely will not slide off.-----You will have to tap it off with a small hammer, or a small puller will work too.-Install new bearing with gentle taps on the inner race only.