proper ohm meter for testing electrical components on '73 johnson 135

monk-monk

Chief Petty Officer
I am looking for suggestions about the proper ohm meter/test meter I should be using to do system checks as described in the manual. I have a Sperry digital volt meter that has an ohm setting, but instructions in the Johnson manual references using a "high" and "low" ohm setting...the tester I have does not have a high or low ohm setting. Please set me straight on the correct instrument I need. Thanks!

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: proper ohm meter for testing electrical components on '73 johnson 135

Maybe your meter has a scale or something similar. Mine has i think 100, 1000, 10000 ohmns.
Most ohmn tests should be done in the 1000 ohmn setting for the stator and normally 100 for the timerbase but 1000 should work too.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I'll give it a try. Used to be, before digital readout meter hit the market, that VOMs (Volt Ohm Meters) would load a circuit you would be trying to read. That load was usually in the 5 to 50 thousand ohms/volt resistance values depending on the manufacturer. The higher that ohm/volt number, the less it would load the circuit. In other words if you were trying to read a voltage, the meter itself would use some of the voltage as it was reading the voltage. And therefore you wouldn't get the exact voltage reading but a lower reading value because of the additional load on the circuit. Example would be reading a battery voltage the really was 12.6 volts but the meter would read maybe 11.9 volts because of the ohm/volt loading factor. Well they figure out a way to allow high resistance meter readings and lower resistant meter reading by circuit design. Hence a hi/lo switch. And there are times you want such options. Loading a circuit can show you if there is enough current capability to work properly. So you would use a high loading factor (lower resistance value) to purposely load a circuit. And the flip side was to get as high a ohm/volt circuit to get a more actuate voltage reading. I know this seem overwhelming. So understand that new DVMs (Digital Volt Meters) are so high in the input resistance values that they virtually don't load a circuit very much if at all. So what you read is basically the true value. Another way to look at it is like this. If you have two wires and they are not touching , the resistance between them is so high that it becomes infinity or totally open. And conversely if you touch those wires together, the load become near zero ohms which is a short and loads the circuit to the extremes... The manual you are talking about uses the old type meters and there are time you want to load the circuit, hence the lo setting, and time you don't want to load the circuit hence the high reading. Hope that makes sense and didn't overly confuse you... A lot to grasp and understand without getting into electronics too deep...

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The meter specified in the old service manuals had only two resistance scales. "low" was suitable for reading resistances of only a few ohms, probably under about ten. "High" was for reading higher resistances. An ohm meter that cannot tell the difference between one ohm and say four or five would be useless in some of the specified tests.

You didn't ask, but if you wonder about the neon tester, they are obsolete, as are the instructions in the manual. Much more up to date are the peak reading voltmeters (DVA) used nowadays (and on older motors too, with proper instructions)

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Oh just forget what I previously posted. I didn't read you question correctly. Bonsmate actually answered your question very well... I misread your question and thought you were asking about loading meters instead... Sorry :facepalm: :embarassed:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Another great way to verify ignition components is to check for their voltage outputs when cranking the engine. You will find a complete section in the CDI online troubleshooting guide: cdielectronics.com Page 35 specifically has test output values to be measured with a special DVA meter. For instance, the timer base should output 0.6 volts. The stator should output at least 150 volts. I prefer using these output voltages over the ohms.

wrench 3

Commander

For best accuracy when checking ohms, set your meter on the lowest setting that covers the specification that your looking for.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You need the correct meter and a DVA adapter to properly check any electrical components on a motor. You do these tests with the motor cranking over.

Last edited:

monk-monk

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the replies! gm280, I totally understand all of what you have said! emdsapmgr, i also recognize the point you are trying to make (I've wondered if you can really verify an electrical/electronic part. boobie, could you please tell me what the "correct meter" is, and when you use "DVA" are you meaning "digital volt-amps"?

monk-monk

Chief Petty Officer

I was hoping to be able to "bench test" the electrical components before assembly, but it seems the only true way is under "load". So, i still need suggestions as to the correct meter to perform the tests.

wrench 3

Commander

I've wondered if you can really verify an electrical/electronic part.

Just remember, for a test to be valid the fault has to be there before and after the test.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Search "peak read meter" in the electronics forum

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Monk, DVA means direct voltage adaptor and plugs into any volt/ohm meter that will accept it.