Overboard Safety Switch

cchildr84

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recently re-built an 81 25HP Evinrude for use on my 14ft aluminum V-bottom boat. Im in the process of breaking it in right now, I've got about 5 more hours for the 10 hour breakin in. Anyhow, this motor doesn't come stock with a Man Overboard Safety Switch, just the standard kill switch. I was curious to know if there was a way I could make an overboard kill switch. Heaven forbid I should ever get tossed overboard while running, there would be no way of stopping the motor until it hit land or another boat and overheated or something. Any suggestions? Thanks.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: Overboard Safety Switch

Go to ----shop.evinrude.com---------Then click to outboard accessories-------then electrical.--------Search various years and kits to find one that fits what you want to do and your budget.

wrench 3

Commander

The Evinrude parts listings for most of their older engines show both a standard kill switch and a lanyard safety switch that are interchangeable. Sierra Marine also has the switch under part #MP28870.
This is assuming you are running a tiller engine.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Easy to do. Clean the ground connection when you do it too (where the black wire contacts the engine)

cchildr84

Petty Officer 1st Class

Easy to do. Clean the ground connection when you do it too (where the black wire contacts the engine)

Im sure the directions will show how, but how would this additional safety switch tie into the kill switch. As I'm sure your familiar with, the kill switch has (2) wires, (1) that grounds to the ignition coil and (1) that connects to the power pack. And, yes "wrench 3" this is a tiller engine.

Last edited:

cchildr84

Petty Officer 1st Class

Itl just replace the current wires

Ok, so basically the lanyard safety switch replaces the stock kill switch, is that right? In my original question I was looking at keeping the stock kill switch and adding the lanyard safety switch in addition to.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

U can get a combined one. Its a stop switch with a lanyard directly under the button.
But if you want to use both just put the grounds together and fuse the other wire into the current one that feeds the current switch.
The combinaton switches a great. I put a merc one on my tohatsau kicker

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

I recently re-built an 81 25HP Evinrude for use on my 14ft aluminum V-bottom boat. Im in the process of breaking it in right now, I've got about 5 more hours for the 10 hour breakin in. Anyhow, this motor doesn't come stock with a Man Overboard Safety Switch, just the standard kill switch. I was curious to know if there was a way I could make an overboard kill switch. Heaven forbid I should ever get tossed overboard while running, there would be no way of stopping the motor until it hit land or another boat and overheated or something. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Very wise to fit a safety lanyard .... but remember for it to be effective you must use it!

The danger is not that the boat will continue until it hits land but that it may circle and eventually run over you, the propeller inflicting life threatening injuries.

A family of 6 were thrown into the water in one of the British river estuaries earlier this year. Their 8 metre rib, powered by a 300hp outboard, circled and ran them down, several times. Father and 8 yr old daughter were killed. Mother and 4 year old son suffered serious injuries.
The driver was not wearing the kill cord!

http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/SB1_13.pdf

Last edited:

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Vic, how horrible for those who saw that

I dont think there were a great many although it was a fine holiday weekend. Our Mayday bank holiday IIRC.

Unbelievably there is ( distant) video footage of it being chased round a couple of times, being boarded, at speed, and brought under control by a local waterski instructor. Brave man !

cchildr84

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got the new kill switch in. It's a dual function type. I order it off of ebay, it's a sea dog universal safety switch. It has 4 prongs on the back for either killing through the ignition system or the magneto. At first I had it hooked up to the ignition prongs as I figured since the original kill swithc was wire to the power pack and grounded to the coil. But as it turns out I had to switch to the magneto prongs. Anyhow, it all works just as I was looking for.

Safety Kill Switch.jpg

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Vic Thanks for update.
I hadnt known what a hook was although I had experienced a mild one years ago.
One of the things that got me was that in one accident they mentioned ,two drowned after getting thrown out of the boat, they werent run over but drowned. Shows why wearing life jackets can save you.
It was interesting that the cause of them getting violently ejected was a failure in the steering system. I looked up the case to see what had happened, i had expected it to be a failure of a older style rope/cable system.
http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/loch lomond full report.pdf

However when reading the report it showed that it was actually a failure of a hydrallic steering system, seems it had a leak and air got in and it suddenly caused a violent movement in the outboard. I had thought of upgrading my motor to hydrallic steering as it was safer but after reading this and knowing that hydrallic can fail too i think il stick with my cable system and just increase monitoring of it. And also i will check any other boats i go out on for hydrallic leaks. There are a lot of cheap products that come out from asia and are available on line here, not good..........

Ive attached the killcord everytime ive gone out since you originally posted this, its mandatory like a seatbelt to me now.