'90 evinrude 25 hp no spark

Badhen

Cadet
As I was picking up decoys yesterday, a cord wrapped around my prop and stalled the motor. Cord snapped and there is no remaining line is around prop. when I tried to start the motor again, there was no starting the motor again. I had to call a buddy to tow me back to the ramp. After making sure it wasn't a fuel or spark plug issue, I put a meter up to the spark plug wires, and when I pulled the rope, it registered .28 volts. It stayed at that reading after pulling the leads off, and has not lowered from that .28 reading. I just can't figure out why the sudden stop would effect my electrical system. any ideas as to what might have happened or what I should try testing before I go out and buy new stuff?

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: '90 evinrude 25 hp no spark

take a look at all your electrical connections to make sure they're tight/clean including grounds, also kill switch circuit, good luck.

jasper60103

Commander

Get yourself a spark tester from a autoparts store. Good luck.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

And set the spark tester at 7/16".

Badhen

Cadet

I will pick one up in the morning. Is there another way to diagnose the problem without spending the $, or will this tester tell me where the problem is located at?

racerone

Supreme Mariner

You can do an ohm test on the charge coil and sensor coil without taking the flywheel off.----If those test good then take a real close look at all the wiring and the kill circuit.-----Hard to believe that the powerpack would fail from the dynamic halt.-------Buying new stuff without proper testing can get expensive.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The tester will tell you if you have decent spark or not. They sell in parts houses for around $8.00.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If the engine stopped abruptly, you may have sheared the flywheel key.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The motor can still have spark with a sheared flywheel key. Just will be out of time.