Johnson 140 Water pump

Dirtfloor

Cadet
Hi Guys, I'm trying to replace the impeller on my Johnson 140. I've done this before on different motors, so I'm not a complete novice. It seems the drive shaft is stuck in the power head and try as I might it won't budge. I've gone over it a dozen time to make sure I haven't left any bolts or screws in. Any ideas, anybody??? Cheers

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: Johnson 140 Water pump

shift shaft bolt out?
is it a saltwater used motor?

Dirtfloor

Cadet

Yes, the shift shaft bolt is out. And yes used in salt water. Also while trying to shake it loose I found sand coming out of the leg?!!!

Bosunsmate

Admiral

I find shells in them sometimes too.
Have you got any movement from the gearbox?
I was thinking that if you removed the prop and undid the pinon gear the driveshaft would stay behind while the gearbox dropped out.... Anyone tried that?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

That's pretty much impossible. Think about what holds the drive shaft into the lower unit. Have you got the bolt out underneath the trim tab ??

Last edited:

Bosunsmate

Admiral

That's pretty much impossible. Think about what holds the drive shaft into the lower unit.

Its sunday here but im thinking just the pinon gear on the bottom, everything else should just slide through the impeller housing, id of thought?

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Agreed , taking the nut off the bottom of the driveshaft still does not allow the driveshaft to come out of the lower unit !---The thrust bearing surface is very big and will not allow this to come apart !--I use an adapter on the crank and a pulling adapter on the skeg to get these apart.

Last edited:

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Agreed , taking the nut off the bottom of the driveshaft still does not allow the driveshaft to come out of the lower unit !---The thrust bearing surface is very big and will not allow this to come apart !--I use an adapter on the crank and a pulling adapter on the skeg to get these apart.
Gotta go to work now but how do you get that adaptor on the crank?

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Take the flywheel nut off and screw on a special eye bolt !

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Have you got a picture of this set up in action ????

Dirtfloor

Cadet

What about dropping the midsection off, or is that a can of worms I don't want to open?

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Midsection will not come off as it is held between the lower unit and the powerhead !!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

racerone, we're on this forum to help one another out. What's your problem ?????

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

Dude, make sure all the bolts are out....and as Boobie says, make sure the bolt under the trim tab is removed as well. Make sure the shift linkage is disconnected under the bottom Carb. Then, get yourself a heavy rubber mallet, and block of 2x4, and smack the hell out of it until it drops.Also, some wood or plastic wedges could possible help.

I have seen an unlubricated drive shaft get stuck inside of a powerhead, but smacking it always breaks it loose. The last thing I would do is disassemble the lower unit while it is still connected to the motor.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Another trick I heard of was where the guy put a few bolts back in the lower unit, left them loose and hooked up the shift linkage. Then hooked up some muffs and started the motor up and shifted it back and forth and it broke the lower unit loose. Never tried it myself.

Dirtfloor

Cadet

I tried running it but I didn't think to shift it in and out of gear. Still stuck. I'll try the gear shifting trick next time.
Now I'm off to buy myself a large rubber mallet and some 2x4.
Thanks for the help guys, I'll keep you posted on my progress.
Cheers

daselbee

Commander

I am running a 2004 225 Ficht now, and I acquired it because a dealership...I said DEALERSHIP....tried to remove the LU to do a waterpump job. DS was stuck. They cracked the bottom of the midsection, and eventually pulled the upper driveshaft right out of the LU, which is possible with a two piece DS. Did I mention that this was a DEALERSHIP???!!!
The owner's insurance company totaled the motor, and I got it.

The point is.....a big rubber hammer is not going to help if it is rust stuck.

Regarding Boobie's statement, Chris Carson has recommended almost the exact procedure that Boobie just posted. The difference is that he puts a very slight bending force in the DS by placing a wedge of some sort on one side of the LU. This makes the DS wobble in the crank end as it runs. It should only run for a very few seconds before it works it's way loose. It might even work it's way out under starter motor power.....

I have never tried it.

Let us know how you get it out....