1987 Evinrude 70 hp tilt/trim issues

tghfish

Recruit
Tilt/trim quit working while out on water. Had to loosen bleed screw to raise engine to install transom saver to trailer home. Trim motor sounds like it is running in the up and down positions. The motor will not raise though. The trim cylinder shafts will barely move if I hold the up switch for a long period of time; but they will start down as soon as I push the down button. The engine will also fall down when I remove the transom saver to the fully down position; but I can't raise it unless I loosen the bleed screw. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1987 Evinrude 70 hp tilt/trim issues

The unit may be low on fluid.

Raise the engine to the full tilt position. Fill the reservoir to overflowing (this may require repeating). Did this help?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Have you checked the oil level in it ?? Raise it to full tilt and then check it.

tghfish

Recruit

I see no reservior, only a screw on the right side about middle ways up the unit. When I remove this screw, fluid does come out.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I see no reservior, only a screw on the right side about middle ways up the unit. When I remove this screw, fluid does come out.

That is the reservoir. With the engine tilted to its full up position, that reservoir should be filled to overflowing... then replace the seal screw, after which make sure the manual release valve is in the closed position.

tghfish

Recruit

That is the reservoir. With the engine tilted to its full up position, that reservoir should be filled to overflowing... then replace the seal screw, after which make sure the manual release valve is in the closed position.

Ten 4.. did that today. Still same issue... might still have air in system... upon cycling up and down and backing out screw air does come out. And I have added more fluid. Back breaking procedure.lol. Gotta find another way of raising motor other than by hand/back. Ran out of time, working nights now.

RRitt

Captain

Tilt/trim quit working while out on water. Had to loosen bleed screw to raise engine to install transom saver to trailer home. Trim motor sounds like it is running in the up and down positions. The motor will not raise though. The trim cylinder shafts will barely move if I hold the up switch for a long period of time; but they will start down as soon as I push the down button. The engine will also fall down when I remove the transom saver to the fully down position; but I can't raise it unless I loosen the bleed screw. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

assuming 3ram system as below.
OMC, Johnson & Evinrude - POWER TRIM/TILT HYDRAULIC ASSEMBLY - 1985 Johnson/Evinrude 235

doesn't raise and then drifts down?

with engine blocked up, a bucket handy, and a rubber plug ready ...
examine part #9. Make sure all seals in the circuit (especially #22) are good. flush out area with squirt bottle of mineral spirits and reassemble.

well, that's about all I got for easy fixes. Next step on my boat would be a complete rebuild ... 0393942 (1) + 0173589 (41A) + 0174003 (43)