1975 Johnson 135 Choke Solenoid

Donal

Recruit
After having let the motor set up for awhile, inside, and having started it, it was shut off for three or four days and put back in the garage. When I took it back out after four days and planned to put it in the water, I decided to test start it again. It blew the fuse when I turned the key switch to the "on" (Acc) position. I have finally determined, by disconnecting etc., that the culprit seems to be the choke solenoid. I disconnected it at the terminal block and tried the switch several times engaging the starter solenoid (with the starter also disconnected) and it didn't blow the fuse. Then reconnected the solenoid and it immediately blew when I turned it to "on." I'm having trouble locating a replacement choke solenoid as it has been discontinued, etc. Does anyone have any ideas as to obtaining one or alternate ways of operating the choke manually, preferably without removing the motor cover?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1975 Johnson 135 Choke Solenoid

Try the top secret files at the beginning of this forum and look for salvage yards. Or pull the cowl off and manually choke it when starting.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I believe part #581748 (fits 1977) will replace it. I believe it is a single stage solenoid, no purple/yellow wire. Just connect the purple/white wire as usual. However, it is obsolete too, but marineengine has two of them in stock. Not cheap, $110.

Last edited:

Donal

Recruit

Thanks. I wondered if there was something I could substitute. Do you mean the single stage would work and wouldn't need the two wires? I know they aren't cheap. Don't understand why they are so expensive. Not much to them. I wonder if there is any way I could verify it would be compatible?

Donal

Recruit

According to the schematics they do look the same, except for the wires. The 75 manual shows the check for the choke solenoid resistance ranges. Not sure how they would compare with the single phase on the 77. Just thinking how maybe to verify the compatibility.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The motor came with a two stage choke. First stage came on as soon as you turn the key on (if the motor was cold), and closed the choke lightly. That is a "warm-up" choke, controlled by purple/yellow wire coming from a thermal switch. Second stage came on whenever you operate the choke switch on the control. With both stages on, the choke is slammed shut tight for a cold start.

That worked great, EXCEPT in some situations where the motor had been ran and shut off before fully warming up. If you then try to restart it, the thermal portion would lightly close the choke, even though it didn't need it. In other words, at times it would be difficult to get started because of over choking.

When OMC started getting complaints, they issued a service bulletin, saying to re-wire the chokes so the thermal switch was non-functional, and BOTH of the solenoid wires were connected so both stages were under the driver's control. Now the choke is slammed tight shut whenever the choke switch is operated, and no choke at all when he turns loose.

In subsequent models, OMC simply supplied a one-wire solenoid on new motors. That is what I'm suggesting you use---if it fits, which I THINK it will.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Not to worry. The factory supports an internal website that posts new, leftover stock on parts. This U.S. dealer says he has 4 new pcs of the 386664 1975 solenoid in stock. DICKERSONS MARINE PO BOX 37, 95 FACTORY AVE MATTITUCK NY 11952 (631) 298-4040. Contact them and give them your credit card and they will send you one. There are plenty of others scattered around the country, too.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Hey, I suspected there was such a website. Suspicions confirmed. Now, next question is can it be accessed by us mere mortals or do you have to be "somebody"?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You have to go through a Bombardier dealer.

Donal

Recruit

You guys are great. I'm still digesting this and will advise. Can't thank you enough.

Donal

Recruit
Sorry to be so long in posting the result after acquiring a choke solenoid from a list of Bombardier dealers. That corrected the problem of the fuse blowing when the key was turned to the "ON" position. Thank you for your excellent help and again I apologize for being so long in ansering.