Just bought an Evinrude Super Fastwin

Vintage Boat Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just bought an Evinrude Super Fastwin with the serial no. 15012-44477. What year would this outboard be and how many horsepower? It came with an old pressurized Mercury tank from between 1953-1956 according to pictures, are these tanks more valuable than the standard OMC pressurized tank? It has the OMC pressurized fitting on it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Just bought an Evinrude Super Fastwin

It is a 1954. Now if that tank had a Merc fitting on it.. They are pretty rare, as I discovered after I let some go for cheap.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I would say I definitely see less of the Merc pressure tanks than I do the OMC ones. Always good to hoard a couple away!

...and is a 15hp. Just for knowledge, the 15012's up to serial number 19000 are a 1953, then serial number 19001 and up are 1954, like yours.

Same for the 15013, but this model is the long shaft.

Last edited:

Vintage Boat Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What is the difference between the old and new merc fittings other than the dual lines? Are these motors supposed to be mixed 25:1? I also don't own any mercs and don't plan to either. This motor was built in Wisconsin, how come it was not built in Peterborough like every other OMC I have come across?

Last edited:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Yeah 24:1 for the 15hp.

While the Canadians at the Peterboro plant dominated the world marketplace in outboard production :), we couldn't build them all.

Seriously, just geography. You mainly find Peterboro built motors because of where you lived. Most of mine are Peterboro built as well. Some Wisconsin motors sneak up here though.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

What is the difference between the old and new merc fittings other than the dual lines? Are these motors supposed to be mixed 25:1? I also don't own any mercs and don't plan to either. This motor was built in Wisconsin, how come it was not built in Peterborough like every other OMC I have come across?

The dual line Merc fitting was a rather large round plug, inserted then rotated to lock it in. There was another "Merc" dual line fitting for Wizard motors, resembling an OMC fitting, but different.

Vintage Boat Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I saw a picture of the wizard one online ,but couldn't get a close up of the merc one in the case that I restore and sell the tank. How much would an OMC pressurized tank be worth compared to the merc one

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

For what it's worth: About a year ago I sold a Merc pressure tank. The inside was spotless and the outside was in decent shape (no hose or fitting). I sold it on ebay and had only a couple of bidders. I believe I got somewhere around $50 for it.

Vintage Boat Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just checked the motor over today and it has a good impeller, but I don't know what this spring was for that was sitting on the spark plugEvinrude 15hp 036.jpg I'm also looking for the latch setup for the front as someone was kind enough to drill a hole through it, would one from a different horsepower Evinrude fit this motor?Evinrude 15hp 037.jpg Also wanted to know are the parts from the later 18hp OMC's compatible? Can I swap carbs?

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I would "assume" latch would be same as other motors. As you probably realize, the 18 was an evolution from the 15. But there are a LOT of changes. Probably more differences than not. 18 carb probably has larger throat than 15.

Vintage Boat Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are there many parts that are interchangeable? I looked at both and they look very similar

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

Be careful; what looks to be compatible may not be so. I have a 52 53 Super Fastwin. The powerhead is seized and I finally gave up on it. I bought a complete 15 powerhead from a 54-55? Went to mount it and found the top of the drive shaft configuration different. Who would have thought?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

As Frank stated, more of it would not work than would. Too bad, I had about 6 or 7 parts motors, all 15012s this summer but sold them all off. I do still have a couple boxes of individual parts if you know specifically what you need. As I said in the email though, no spare cowls sorry.

nwcove

Admiral

i too have a 15012, but the hood latch doesnt have the "high and low speed adjust" markings on it.?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Should be there Tim. All the ones I have do anyways.

005.jpg

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I just went through my parts rooms. I did find a 1958 Evinrude Big Twin cowl that doesn't have a home. It has the latch, but unfortunately doesn't have the "spring" that pulls the halves together. Ill keep looking to see if I can find that hook spring.

nwcove

Admiral

mine must be a mish mash of parts (its painted white) the cowl looks identical to yours, except for the cutout at 4 oclock in the pic, mine looks like someone opened that area up a bit bigger. the latch says " to open pull latch" cast into an arrow.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Probably a later 18hp latch.

nwcove

Admiral

gunna have to clear a path to that motor, and see if the powerhead matches the tag. lol

Vintage Boat Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have to get the hook that the latch catches as well, although I could make one. I've made many different parts before.