1989 150 HP Evinrude (E150TLCEM) Reverse Issue

111torrance111

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just replaced the water impeller on my 150 HP Evinrude a couple of weeks ago and finally took the boat out fishing, the problem I have now is it won't go in to reverse because by the time it engages the throttle is to high.

I tried to adjust the shift cable, it looks like it's as far as it will go. As I move the throttle back it appears that the shift lever by the carbs is moving all the way back, however when the motor is running the throttle is moving forward and I don't want to put it in gear like this.

Going forward is great.

Am I missing something on the adjustment for the shift cable? I've adjusted the thumb screw that pushes the linkage all the way back.

Jerry

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 150 HP Evinrude (E150TLCEM) Reverse Issue

It's possible that the shift rod height was changed when you installed the new impeller. Normally the shift rod height measurement does not change during impeller changeout, but it's possible that the rod got twisted when the lower unit was removed/reinstalled. The rod height it critical to good shifting and is changed by screwing/unscrewing the shift rod into the lower unit. Once you get the shift rod to the factory spec height, it's easy to make the final adjustment by turning the handwheel on the engine shift cable end. Likely the 1990 shift rod factory setting is the same for your 89: 22 1/16" +- 1/32". Measured from the deck of the lower unit to the centerline of the hole at the top of the shift rod. (for a long-shaft engine.)

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Make sure the lower unit is in neutral when you make this adjustment.

111torrance111

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the guidance group..

Emdsapmgr: Not sure how it happened but you were right, somehow that shift rod was changed during the installation process, it was almost an 1/2" off. I though I was careful not to move it, but it must have moved somehow.

Bobbie: Thanks for the neutral tips.

Boat is running great & I picked up some skills working on this beast...

Jerry