1981 Johnson 115 hp

SigSaurP229

Commander
In restoring my old boat, I am dealing with some issues of mice chewing through some wiring, specifically the timer base and power pack wires (seems to be the only casualty thus far).

My model number is J115TXCIM.

I ordered two brand new power packs, and a timer base on ebay. The timer base is the right base for my motor, and the power packs are the right packs for my motor as well.

Timer base number 0583376
Power Pack number 0582125

Here is the dilema,

The timer base has the same shape plug as the power packs, however it is missing the black and yellow wire pin (the kill wire). According to my service manual the kill wire doesn't actually run through the timer base it runs from the ignition switch through the wiring harness into the power pack plug. (which makes perfect sense).

I really don't want to cut and splice wires, is there anyway to add a pin into the timer base plug so that everything is basically factory assembled, as I don't want to splice my power pack wires?

If so what part number/tool do I need?

Would I be able to do it with part number 0581656?

Any tricks for removing the flywheel nut since I don't have the specific OMC flywheel holding tool. I have an impact but I am afraid its going to be underpowered for the job.

I started soaking the flywheel nut three days ago with liquid wrench.

Last edited:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1981 Johnson 115 hp

There is an electronic version of your wiring diagram within the first thread at the top of this website page, called the top secret files. Looks like you've identified the wrong plug. The 581656 is probably not the right one. You'd need two pcs of 511449, the 4-pin rubber connector. You'd also need the actual pins, which Bombardier sells in a multiple stamped strip. (I don't have the part number.) It's easier to install the pins in the rubber connector if you have the correct pin insert tool. Not sure if it is the 322697 or 322698. To hold the flywheel while turning the nut, you can purchase a flywheel holder from any auto parts store. They are not real expensive and will keep you from breaking something if you just wedge a screwdriver between the flywheel teeth and the powerhead. An impact will work to remove the nut, but you'll have to hold it steady while you retorque that nut: 100-105 ft lbs-so you will still need that holder.

jb93

Petty Officer 1st Class

Feed some 1/4" diameter rope through the spark plug hole until you fill up the cavity. I don't think you need to, but I usually just put rope in all cylinders for posterity (my motors are just twins). When you start turning the flywheel the piston will compress the rope and keep it from moving and then you can remove the flywheel nut without turning flywheel. I've done it several times with no issue on my smaller twin cylinder outboards (18, 25 hp). For a v4, I'm not sure if rope in just 2 cylinders would be ok or not? Someone else can probably confirm for you. At any rate, it's a cheap/free way to go.

I've been able to remove the flywheel nut with a larger 1/2" drive ratchet...about 12" long handle for decent leverage. You can pick up a 1/2" drive breaker bar from Harbor Freight for $9.99 - has 18" long handle.

Last edited:

James R

Commander

A half inch drive air impact gun will spin that nut right off no problem without locking the flywheel. I do that all the time. I use the same process to put the nut back on. Never had a problem. Also use the same method on the flywheel puller to get the flywheel off. If that does not remove the flywheel leave it loaded up and hit the top of the puller sharply with a hammer. The flywheel usually pops off. Dont beat on it or you risk bearing damage.
Of course there will be some criticism of this method but it has never caused a problem and it works.

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You should never put the nut back on with an impact gun. Use a torque wrench and torque to proper spec. You can screw up the taper in the flywheel using a gun.

James R

Commander

You may be right Boobie but I have never had a problem with any motor in all my years. I suppose using a super power over pressured gun might give a problem. Let common sense prevail.
I respect your knowledge as always.
Merry Christmas to all.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The point I was trying to make was over powering is just as bad as having an under powered gun. If the flywheel isn't torqued properly it can also come flying off. And that's not fun when you're running the motor at 5500 rpm. As they always said, the flywheel comes forward when it comes off.

James R

Commander

Ok Boobie you have prompted me to look into the Torque couplings the type used in the auto applications.
Have a good Christmas.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Good idea. You have a good Christmas too.