1969 25 hp Johnson Kill switch?

tomassfj

Recruit
I just purchased a 1969 25 hp Johnson outboard. Some one had already changed the original push to start button. I tested the push to start button and it is bad. I see 2 wires hanging down out of the flywheel that are not plugged in to anything. I want to install a ignition switch that also kills the motor when it is turned off. I think the 2 wires may be wires that when grounded will kill the spark to the spark plugs. I am afraid that if i ground these 2 wires to test my theory and i am wrong i may damage some thing in the electrical parts under the flywheel. Does anyone know if these 2 wires are for killing the motor or are they for something else? Right now i am pulling the choke to shut off the motor. Thank you!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1969 25 hp Johnson Kill switch?

Almost correct. Connecting the two wires together kills the spark. That is what the two "M" terminals on an ignition switch do. Or a simple push button will do it too.

kfa4303

Banned

Hi tomass. Welcome to iboats. +1 on F_R's comments. Lots of us, myself included, replace the stock kill switch with a push-button, lanyard style. You can find them online for about $10. They add an extra layer of safety and install using the stock wires and location in about 10 minutes.

lanyard kill switch.jpg

tomassfj

Recruit

Hi tomass. Welcome to iboats. +1 on F_R's comments. Lots of us, myself included, replace the stock kill switch with a push-button, lanyard style. You can find them online for about $10. They add an extra layer of safety and install using the stock wires and location in about 10 minutes.

View attachment 219844

Thank you for both of these responses. I will pick up the safety kill switch today.