Johnson 15 hp engine

Lbridge4

Recruit
Alright so my 1975 Johnson has recently had a alight problem with water pump, I know easy fix but I kept putting off. Opening day of duck season me and two buddies put in and took off,making sure all the weight was distributed fairly evenly, I forgot to check the pisser. Not even two minutes up river the motor sputtered one time and quit fizzled and smoke, partly because it was cold, and smelled burnt. Haven't took the motor apart yet just wondering if the motor is dead or possibly fixable? Any help is appreciated thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 15 hp engine

Check the compression on it and if it's not good remove the cyl head and check for a blown gasket.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Check the compression on it and if it's not good remove the cyl head and check for a blown gasket.

+1. They usually just pop a head gasket or a side cover (exhaust) gasket.

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

The thermostat in my 85 Johnson 7.5 got stuck. I thought the motor was on fire at first. It even melted the plastic throttle cable mounted on top of the head. I took the thermostat out. It started right up, I went on my way, and has run great ever since. I was lucky. You might be too if it's the thermostat.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Do the compression first. I've seen to many blown head gaskets from an overheat.