99 Johnson 50 hp tilt trim problem help pls

Fulldraw64

Cadet
Ok the ram cylinder was leaking at top of cylinder so I replaced it and other 3 or 4 seals in there. It was working when I put the top mounting rod through the ram w the the bottom of the unit not mounted. Did this so I could fill it and work it easier without it under load. When I finished put the bottom safety mounting rod in it would not pick the water up or down. I can lift the motor w no resistance and it just falls down. I can hear the fluid bypassing inside or moving around. I did back the manual release valve out more than 2 or 3 turns. Now it won't seat back down, it just keeps spinning. Is this my problem? If so how do I get mrv out after I remove the c clip on outside and is it possible I messed something else up?
Thanks,
Brian

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 99 Johnson 50 hp tilt trim problem help pls

your manual release is still open. try pushing in while turning it. Be gentle and you might feel the threads catch.

when I open mine it only takes a 1/2 turn to open it.

RRitt

Captain

did you get all the ball bearings, collars, poppet, and springs back in place correctly?
if not then you have probably broken a seal on your mrv. it takes 3 seals and only one of them is easy to find.
the seal on tip is 008 square made from either Viton or Buna90. BN90 is you use the mrv a lot and VT if you don't. Hold the tip seal on with something like 3M auto weatherstrip adhesive for engine compartments. the first collar seal is either #011 or #012. The outer seal is metric 1.6mm x 12mm.

You may or may not find the loose parts at a dealer. They may or may not even be sold separately from the MRV. I sell a kit on ebay that includes them, but it is more pricey than you need because it includes all the parts not just the mrv seals. I would check with dealer first. Then maybe a local hydraulics shop ... the #008 in hard nitrile should not be too hard to find. But the outer metric seal might be tough. Hopefully, its just something simple like the orange poppet being upside down in piston. The pointy tip of poppet faces away from the spring.

Last edited:

Fulldraw64

Cadet

Well I think I narrowed it down. Looks like the outer o ring on mrv has a spot where it's damaged. I put one on from local shop but not right size and it was doing a little better lifting very very slowly but would hold engine up just leaking slowly as compared to no resistance. So 1.6mmx12mm should do it? Thanks a lot for you guys input

RRitt

Captain

the outer oring on manual release would cause fluid drip but not drift down. MRV drift down comes from one of the two inner seals.
Did it drift down before you fixed it? If not then i'd look at what you fixed. If so and the drift down was slow then i'd look at mrv or check valves. Actually, I'd just rebuild the whole thing either way. When it comes to trim systems the best approach is to do it fully and perfectly or not at all. Then you don't have to fiddle with it for another 15-20 years.

RRitt

Captain

How would I check the check valves?

IMO, you are wasting your time trying to chase individual problems. Just put the thing on a bench and rebuild everything except the electric motor to perfection. You replace the motor at first signs of rust pits or when the brushes just finally wear out. Everything else you either just live with it or fix it all at once. Halfway jobs just keep having to get fixed over and over again. So go have a beer and leave the trim system on your tool bench until you are ready to fix it whole.

but, if you choose to ignore advice ... you check the check valves by fixing the MRV and see if it leaks down. If it does leak down then you replace the check valves next. if it still leaks down then you check the pump valves. if it still leaks down then you check the gearcase. then the piston valves. then the piston. At this point in time you have spent 8-16 hours troubleshooting a 2 hour rebuild. So you throw your hands in air and do what you should have done in first place - a complete rebuild. if that doesn't work then you the system into the basket case bin and rebuild some other housing. When you have time, you check the original housing for internal cracks, pits around mrv, knicks in the shuttle passage, or cracks in the gearcase. If there are no cracks then you rebuild the housing with all new piston/valve/gears/mrv and place the old innards into the bad bin.

it's easiest in the long run not to troubleshoot. just fix it right the first time and move on.

Fulldraw64

Cadet

Well thanks for advice. I'm gonna put the mrv back in w new o rings. Hope that fixes it. I think there was a lot of air in the system so that was giving problems. I didn't have problems w it leaking before so hope all that is good w the valves.