86 40 hp Johnson carb woes

I have a j40tecd and cannot find anywhere how to adjust the needle valve on top of the carb. Now from what I have seen in searching is that these carbs are from a different ie 1989 50. Also should the fixed high speed jet be with a carb rebuild kit. I bought one and none was in it. Thanks for any help .

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 86 40 hp Johnson carb woes

You won't get any carb jets in the repair kits. Just the float needle and seat and gaskets.

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class

looking at the diagram there appears to be only an idle oriface/ fixed jet no adjustment necessary. make sure you take the jets out to clean passages.

That is wher my problem lies. My carbs do have an adjustment it's the idle adjustment according to a 1989 carb that looks identical to the ones i have on his motor I have both seloc and Johnson manuals nothing about this in either. I had to drill out the high speed on the lower carb and then ez out it got lucky on that job a success..it does shoe on the parts site where from 89 on they used this carb on the 40 and 50 models.

Last edited:

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class

tricky, source another main jet someone will chime in, was this maintanance or was there a problem with the motor runnin? on the idle jets go 2 1/2 out and adjust from there.

Thanks that is what i started with like most engines i have dealt with. Yes carb was coughing on top. Looked at the bottom one and someone stripped the high speed jet. Trying to get85 or 86 carbs and put the right ones back on.