1983 evinrude 25 hp

Rich305

Seaman Apprentice
Hello there I am new to iboats and I am seeking some answers lol well I have a 25 hp evinrude when I first got it the motor did not run I re did the water pump impeller. Changed the lower unit oil and had a buddy redo the carb when I got the motor back from him it ran like a champ. After letting the motor sit for a few months I mixed the gas and oil and went to give it a try. The motor started on the third try but it runs funny now.. It sounds fine but every other 30 seconds it throws like some type of combustion or it sounds like it sneezes and it throws water out the exhaust in a burst and ideas on what it could be? Thanks in advance

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1983 evinrude 25 hp

Is the low speed needle on the carb adjusted correctly ??

Rich305

Seaman Apprentice

Well I didn't mess with it since he gave it back to me so I pretty sure it's set right

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to iboats! If it ran perfectly before, conditions may have changed and as boobie said try the low speed adjustment. Do it in 1/4 turn increments giving about ten seconds for the motor to adjust. If it does it only every 30 seconds I wonder if it was good and warm. It's alot colder out now (unless you're south). Is this on a boat or in a barrel? You may also check the spark plug condition.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I would suspect you got some crud from the fuel tank into the carb. It is one of those things that happens and why people install some aftermarket filters.

The carb might have to come apart again.

Rich305

Seaman Apprentice

Welcome to iboats! If it ran perfectly before, conditions may have changed and as boobie said try the low speed adjustment. Do it in 1/4 turn increments giving about ten seconds for the motor to adjust. If it does it only every 30 seconds I wonder if it was good and warm. It's alot colder out now (unless you're south). Is this on a boat or in a barrel? You may also check the spark plug condition.

Yes I put brand new spark plugs and ran it for about 30 mins and it is still kept going so I shut it off. And yes I live in south florida lol could it be the oil and gas mixture doing this? I am using amsoil as a 2 stroke oil. Also the primer bulb is leaking a little bit of gas on one end. I removed screen on the fuel pump filter and found little peices of dead grass. Could that be it?

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yes I put brand new spark plugs and ran it for about 30 mins and it is still kept going so I shut it off. And yes I live in south florida lol could it be the oil and gas mixture doing this? I am using amsoil as a 2 stroke oil. Also the primer bulb is leaking a little bit of gas on one end. I removed screen on the fuel pump filter and found little peices of dead grass. Could that be it?

Absolutely! Nother carb cleaning may be in order. Oh yeah, fix or replace that fuel line - sucking air and restricting your fuel supply.

Edit again - try fixing the fuel line first. The filter may have prevented any debris from entering the carb. New fuel line, then try it out. If you still have the problem, move on to the carb.

Last edited:

Rich305

Seaman Apprentice

Absolutely! Nother carb cleaning may be in order. Oh yeah, fix or replace that fuel line - sucking air and restricting your fuel supply.

Ok thanks I'm going to try to fix the fuel line then give it a shot... If that don't do it I guess I will take it to my guy that rebuilt my carb I also added marine formula sta-bil in the fuel

Rich305

Seaman Apprentice

Ok thanks I'm going to try to fix the fuel line then give it a shot... If that don't do it I guess I will take it to my guy that rebuilt my carb I also added marine formula sta-bil in the fuel

Well today I replaced the primer ball and hoses and still got nothing I'm thing the jets are clogged of something like that is going on

nwcove

Admiral

jmho.....if you found pieces of dead grass in your fuel pump, i would be questioning whether or not the tank or the whole thing was submerged!!!

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Pull your carb off, the filter will pick up the big bits but other stuff will get through and stick inside your carbs. You only have one carb so consider yourself lucky. Dont try running it anymore until you have done that as you will be running it lean, hence the backfiring