40 HP Johnson VRO and Impeller Repair Question

Smyrnagc

Cadet
I am looking at buying a 1989 Bass Tracker that has a 40 HP Johnson motor on it. The current owner says that it needs VRO and water impeller repaired as well as carbs cleaned. What is involved and what would the ball park figure be for repair costs?

Thanks for your help.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 40 HP Johnson VRO and Impeller Repair Question

IMHO, I'd stay away from it. To many unknown other problems.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

boobie has less guts than me I guess.

I'd look at it from the standpoint that I'm buying the hull and trailer and the engine is no more than parts and price it accordingly. Just because if the price is right and the hull and trailer are in a condition relative to the selling price then why not. I'm currently on my second boat in about 4 years that I had purchased in just that condition. The first one had no engine and the second one had a blown engine. Finding a good used engine is sometimes easier than finding a good used hull.

Then by that scenario the engine may or may not be worth repairing and you are not out anything but the time it takes to go over that engine to determine it's usefullness. Whether that kept as a parts motor, sold as a parts motor or repaired.

Then I would proceed this way with it. First see if it will even turn over. If so then I'd do a compression test as that should give a good indication as to whether it's even worth bothering with. Then check spark. If all three of those things are good then I'd dig deeper.

That engine will run just fine w/o the VRO and there are plenty of web pages that will tell you how to disable it or convert it. If the compression reading are good and even then chances are good that the engine hasn't been overheated and an impellar change isn't difficult or that expensive and probably should be done anyways. Even with a good running engine if for nothing else than peace of mind.
Also the carb rebuild is also something that I do just as a matter of principle along with looking over all fuel and vacuum lines and replacing anything that looks questionable.

Anyways, I'd give fair value of the boat and trailer and possibly whatever the value of that parts engine would be. Also there are a lot less things to worry about with a used aluminum boat than there are with fiberglass ones.

Last edited:

Smyrnagc

Cadet

Thanks bonz_Z...What could I expect the ballpark cost to be for a repair shop to disconnect the VRO and change out the impeller (Parts & Labor)? I am not too mechanically inclined so would have to take it to a shop...Just ballpark.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Sorry I can't give you an answer to shop fees because I do all work myself. But I can tell you that doing both of these tasks are very simple and easy even for the less skilled.

There are only 2 things that need to be done to disconnect the VRO. 1 is to pull apart a plug and 2 is to plug the oil line where it connects to the engine. The water pump is a bit more involved. To remove the lower unit is 6 bolts and 1 clip. Then the water pump is another 4 bolts. I think even you could do it. Even if you are not mechanically inclined.

This is usually so easy I'd do it for a friend for a case o beer and a burger lunch and be done in an hour. I say usually because there are those times when one runs into damaged parts and it takes a miracle to get it off.

Just looked and the water pump kit is $70.80 so I would guess a shop would charge about $200.00 to do both. Again just a guess.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

It's not a matter of guts, it's a matter of smarts.

cr2k

Captain

You are looking at about 2-3 hours labor on the VRO removal and fuel pump replace. And most shops usually get about 1.5 hrs to do an impeller. Shop rates seem to range from $75 to $120 (or more) an hour. Both fairly easy for someone with a little talent. Lot required on the VRO removal, and I would remove it and mix my gas. Question is how did the owner find out the VRO was bad? Did it run lean and damage the engine?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

It's not a matter of guts, it's a matter of smarts.

Then I guess we just have a difference of opinion on what is smart.
But then I suppose if we were all smart we wouldn't be buying boats.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You got that right!!!!!

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class

if you have no mechanical talent and you have money, i would reccommend buying a boat that you have taken for a spin on the water, there is nothing like a good runnin boat, don't be sold.

gary buysse

Cadet
I have a 40 hp Johnson 40ESL69R Outboard, installed a w/p impeller, New thermostat, new sp plugs, compression on both cyl. 102 to 105 psi.
engine runs very well, starts right up. Problem will not pump water with new stat in, w/o stat pumps excellent. Have checked as far as I could
for tubes being clogged. How much water should be coming out when starting up, and running in gear. Has elec. shift and generator. I'm lost
on this one. Any help will be very much appreciated.
GVB Land of 10,000 blue lakes

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Hello gary, It would really be best to start a new topic.. This one is almost 2 years old and the mods frown on that. Besides you'll get more views with a new topic and more pertinent responses.

Can't say I'm familiar with your engine but if it's pumping water w/o the t-stat then I would go back and look there.