2cyl Johnson 60 to 45ss racing spec.

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
I run a 1985 Johnson 60 on a 16' Valco Bayrunner I just lucked into a spare motor and snagged the power trim off of it. :) Would it be worth sending out my spare power head to a shop familiar with the SST racing engines to build it up? I understand it's almost the same engine but can put out over 70 hp. I really like my little 60 but if this is an easy way to make it great I'm looking for any suggestions, sources or experience with it.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2cyl Johnson 60 to 45ss racing spec.

Your 2-cylinder 60 powerhead, for all intents and purposes, is already at 45SS spec. No mods you could do would make any appreciable difference, as much of the extra power comes in exhaust tuning and higher revs, made available by what's UNDER the powerhead on the 45SS. That, and something like that wouldn't really work on a Bayrunner style hull. If you really want more kick, get a bigger motor...

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2cyl Johnson 60 to 45ss racing spec.

That's good info thanks! This is a light little 16 footer and that 60 seems like the right weight. I'm turning a 13x17 prop with a little over rev. I was thinking a 19" would bog it so was I looking to bump the power just enough to turn one. I really like this rig so if something will be best for it I'm all in.