Johnson 15hp Fuel Pump Parts

jfk1700

Recruit
Hey guys,

Long time viewer - first time poster. I have learned a ton from this forum and am thankful for all of the time and expertise everyone contributes.

I have question about my 2007 Johnson 15hp - J15RSUA.

I recently tried to rebuild the fuel pump...so I ordered the fuel pump repair kit. As I was putting things back together, I noticed that I was missing the spring that goes along with the air dome support. I do have the part diagram that came with the rebuild kit - but the diagram is fairly grainy though. I am assuming the air dome support is the white plastic dome with a post? I think I am missing the spring that is supposed to be associated with this part which is not included with the rebuild kit. Does anyone know where I might be able to find this part?

None the less, I put the pump back together without this spring. The motor actually ran OK in neutral - but it would not sustain a reasonable idle (in other words, it would "idle" high with a bit of throttle...but as soon as I back off the throttle all the way, the motor would fizzle out). I had 2 new spark plugs, seafoam in new gas with 50:1 ratio. I cleaned the float and carb with carb cleaner, but did not clean all of the jets individually. HOWEVER, I am assuming that my issue may have to do with this missing spring. I am new to working on outboards - I am used to working on dirt bike carbs....I actually had a hard time finding the idle adjustment?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Johnson 15hp Fuel Pump Parts

You will need the spring to make it operate as designed. You might even be able to use a ball point pen spring cit off to about 5/16". To see a OMC repair kit instructions go to my website Rebuilding the OMC Fuel Pump

jfk1700

Recruit
Re: Johnson 15hp Fuel Pump Parts

Thanks Machinist.

That is the diagram that came with the rebuild kit. I figured I could get a spring from something like a pen...but wasn't sure if that would work in terms of matching the spring weight etc. of the OEM part. It is also worth noting that the slow idle adjustment knob on the tiller does not engage and therefore does not work. Not sure if that has anything to do with my engine not wanting to idle without a little throttle.

See the attached picture. Just want to make sure the bubbled part is really part #2 "air dome support"? Hard to tell with the quality of that scanned page. Thanks again.Document2.jpg