7.5 Johnson leaking oil through water intake screen

Gene Neill

Cadet
Title says it all I think. I have a water pump repair kit on the way, what else do I need to order?

Thanks!

5ev75u.jpg

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 7.5 Johnson leaking oil through water intake screen

Probably nothing to worry about.Just unburnt fuel running down inside the leg.You would not notice it on the water.
Just to be sure in your own mind crack the oil filler plug in the skeg to check your oil is clean,if it's milky water is getting in and you'll need to do a reseal.Plenty of help on here to guide you through it.
Geoffwga1

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If the oil is milky have the lower unit pressure and vacuumed checked.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Title says it all I think. I have a water pump repair kit on the way, what else do I need to order?

Thanks!
If its black partly burnt oil from the fuel its nothing to worry about but it looks like gear oil so the drive shaft seal in the top of the gear case below the water pump has probably failed. (IIRC two seals in there back to back)

Last edited:

Gene Neill

Cadet

If its black partly burnt oil from the fuel its nothing to worry about but it looks like gear oil so the drive shaft seal in the top of the gear case below the water pump has probably failed. (IIRC two seals in there back to back)

Yes, it's definitely gear oil, unfortunately. And the diagram does show two drive shaft seals back to back (#27). Anything else I should replace while I have it torn down?

29zyc2.png

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Yes, it's definitely gear oil, unfortunately. And the diagram does show two drive shaft seals back to back (#27). Anything else I should replace while I have it torn down?
The gasket #14
The shift rod seal perhaps (#26 ?) its only an O ring.

You can always tackle the prop shaft seals at another time if necessary or do them now if its more convenient ( there's an O ring on the housing as well which would be silly to reuse)

While the gear case is off make sure you can get a good water flow up the water tube.

Grease the splines at the top of the drive shaft before reassembling, but dont put any grease on the end

Not sure if its the same as my 6hp up at the top but if it is the water tube grommet is a PITA. Corrosion round it squeezes it over the top of the water tube until it blocks off the flow.
If you poke a stout wire up the tube and hit something hard and solid you are OK but if you can feel something squidgy its the grommet beginning to close off the top.

You have to remove the power head to replace it!

Heres a picture of one ( not mine) in a bad way

Watertubegrommet2.jpg

Gene Neill

Cadet

Got it. #'s 26 & 14 are on the way. Can't thank you enough, Vic, Merry Christmas!