1970 Evinrude 6hp broken clamps on bracket

staugdave

Cadet
Hello! I recently purchases a 1970 6 hp Evinrude and the clamps that hold the bracket to the transom are damaged. There is not round piece that fits up against the transom. I looked up the parts online and they seem to be obsolete. Are there other model year clamps that might be interchangeable or should I just put some aluminum stock between the transom and clamp tips and move on?

Thanks for any help and/or ideas!

SOS

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1970 Evinrude 6hp broken clamps on bracket

The swivel plates are missing because the end of the clampscrew is damaged and the retainer fell off, right? The original style parts are obsolete, but new style replacements are available. Part number 388346 for the kit. But hold on when you see the price.....$77.99. I imagine you will be finding another way of doing it.

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Most use a thick piece of aluminum bar stock in place of the swivel plates and move on. Good luck

staugdave

Cadet

Yeehaw!! $80 bucks! I'm not sure the motors worth that at this point! :D

I'll go with some aluminum stock and see how that works out. Hopefully I can get this thing running. I have a busted pinion gear on the starter so I can't engage the flywheel yet. I'll be ordering that part today.

Thanks for the feedback!

Dave

kbait

Commander

Call tim's outboard 218-682-2331. They'll have used pinion and transom clamps.. reasonably priced. More salvage in top secret files.