1989 150 HP Evinrude Impeller Change

111torrance111

Petty Officer 1st Class
Getting ready to change the water impeller on a 1989 150 HP Evinrude, I've done smaller motors but this will be my first large motor.
Any concerns or issue befor I get started.

Is it best to get the kit or just the impeller?

Any issue with separating the shift linkage?

Thanks for any help or advice you may have.

Jerry

111torrance111

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1989 150 HP Evinrude Impeller Change

Just got started and ran into my first problem, what needs to be removed to get access to release the shifter nut. It looks like the Carb assembly and the bottom carb needs to be remove.

Is there a different way without removing the above.

All the lower end stuff looks easy enough, just stuck on releasing the shifter.

Jerry

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You have to remove the shift rod pin from that clevis in order to release the shift rod. Most don't remove the bottom carb to get this pin out. A 1/4" drive socket set with a swivel should be the correct tool to get the pin out. The access to that pin changes, depending on what gear position the clevis is in.

111torrance111

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks,

I'll give it a try & report back.

Jerry

111torrance111

Petty Officer 1st Class

I guess I need a little clarification..

There are 2 bolts involved that hold the shift rod in place, it looks like the forward facing bolt holds what I assume your calling the shift rod pin. This pin is connected to and controlled by the cables. The second bolt facing Port Side seems to hold the shift rod going to the lower unit.

Do I need to first remove shift rod & then also remove the second bolt. if yes is there any problem aligning this back up correctly when reinstalling?

Jerry

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You remove the bolt going through the shift rod only.

111torrance111

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks,

Got it out, replace the impeller & reinstalled the lower unit. Tried to reconnect the shift rod for over an hour, had to quit & will try again tomorrow.

The shift rod removal & reinstall is taking more time than the impeller work, there must be a trick that I'm missing.

Anyway, thanks for the help so far, I'm moving along.

Jerry

boobie

Supreme Mariner

A long...needle nose pliers some times works good to get at the shift rod from under the lower cowling to position it.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

A trick to make this job easier. Look under the lower cowling. The shift rod is visible at to top of the midsection. You can move it around slightly by wedging a screwdriver between the exhaust housing and the shift rod. You can gently twist the screwdriver with one hand, while you look at the shift rod eye in the clevis under the bottom carb. By gently moving the screwdriver, you can get the top rod eye to move into position at the clevis end so you can insert the pointed screw/pin. Probably about the same as the long-nosed pliers approach.

111torrance111

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just wanted to thank everybody for the help, got the shift rod back in & everything is working fine. Moving the shift rod at the top of the mid section helped a lot. That shift rod twist easy and grabbing it with long needle nose pliers helped align it.

This is a very difficult task getting this back in, not much room to work even after the lower carb was removed.

Up and running.... Thanks.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

I use a metallic pick up telescopic tool, cost me $10. It works easy first time, 100% of the time

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I'll stick with my long needle nose pliers.