1979 Evinrude 55hp - Accelerating problem

iFishlots

Recruit
Hey all,

I just recently got my first boat with a 1979 Evinrude 55hp. I had a full motor service done and I took it out for the first time and it ran perfectly then after fishing for an hour and half or so I decided to go to a new location and as I was almost accelerating full speed for a few minutes or so, out of no where the full speed turned into basically just and idle speed. So I thought I better turn around and start heading back while its still actually going. So the throttling it at a high speed and it was only idling for some reason.
When I got back home it started first start and the throttle was working again which I didn't under stand why. I thought something was wrong with the accelerator cable or something.

Then later that night the mechanic wanted to see a video of the motor when I started it, and accelerated.
After having some troubles trying to start it, I believe I may have flooded with petrol buy squeezing the pump to much but after a while I got it going.
I sent it to the mechanic but he is yet to get back to me, Tried calling but he didn't answer. He is probably pretty busy with every one wanting there motors serviced for summer.

I was hoping to get out in the boat this weekend but I am a little worried that I may have this problem again.
Does anybody know why this may have happened? or a fix for this issue.

I greatly appreciate any response and thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 1979 Evinrude 55hp - Accelerating problem

You must be here in the southern hemisphere somewhere since you mention summer.
Does the primer bulb hold firm when you prime it with the engine off?
They will often go well at muffs at home but be bad on the water, thats due to there being no back pressure on muffs so the engine doesnt need much power to sound/get going ok

iFishlots

Recruit

Bosunsmate the primer bulb holds firm after about 3 or 4 squeezes. I just checked the primer bulb now with out the engine on and it isn't holding firm unless I was to squeeze it 3 - 4 times.

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class

i'm guessin you have a dead cylinder, check spark and compression. if those r good move onto fuel pump/fuel filter since you already have had your carb cleaned out.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

i'm guessin you have a dead cylinder, check spark and compression. if those r good move onto fuel pump/fuel filter since you already have had your carb cleaned out.

Yeah id do this next. Did he they do the two carbs in the full service though?
The fuel bulb should hold firm for at least sometime, it shouldnt get soft quick like within a minute unless you a cranking the starter.
These a pretty solid motors.
Couple of other things to check while you are at it
Check your overheat horn works by grounding the brown wire (theres a rubber joiner near the rear of the motor) to a bolt on the engine (key on but engine off).
Also check your choke hasnt got stuck on if you have an electric choke. (its a pretty flimsy system-the manual lock on the choke can sometimes get locked in to the on position )

Bosunsmate

Admiral

The quickest way to see if its dropped out a cylinder is to get it started at home again and when its warm use insulated pliers and remove a plugwire, if the motor doesnt change in rpm then that cylinder is a dead one.
If you dont have insulated pliers use a screwdriver with an insulated handle and tie the ht lead first to the other end of the screwdriver or rig up something like that.
If its dead swap your sparkplugs over and retry. If that doesnt work swap your coils over and retry.

iFishlots

Recruit

Thanks guys for all the help, I took the boat out today and rang the mechanic and he said it could be a dead cylinder or something wrong with it and would cost $160 to replace. Or a problem with the power box or something. Sorry for my grammer I'm not really boat smart :(

The mechanic is going to look at it after christmas as his pretty busy.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Sounds like hes an idiot. he just did a full service on your motor, he owes you more than just a guess.
Whereabouts are you?

iFishlots

Recruit

I'm in Geelong, I spoke with my girlfriends pop and his going to call someone who used to service his motor.
He said that if he did a full service he should have picked up on it.

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class

well it did run great when you started your trip, so things do break in the most inopportune time...boat stuff is always a constant fix, best to educate yourself get dirty and maintain your own boat(very rewarding), earn alotta money for a great mechanic one that will help you on the water...or sell your new toy and be done with it.

iFishlots

Recruit

well it did run great when you started your trip, so things do break in the most inopportune time...boat stuff is always a constant fix, best to educate yourself get dirty and maintain your own boat(very rewarding), earn alotta money for a great mechanic one that will help you on the water...or sell your new toy and be done with it.

It runs well with the muffs when I'm running the hose through it, as soon as I get in water it accelerates but then stops for some reason.
This is my first boat and I plan to have it professionally serviced on a regular basis. I don't want to fiddle with the motor my self since I'm not 100% sure what I am doing since I am a metal fabricator not a mechanic. I will overtime educate myself with these small issues but as of now I'm happy to pay someone to fix it who knows what there doing. So I know its going to be safe and reliable on my first decent fishing trip.

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Now what do you call a new boat owner that goes onto a diy website, asks for advice on how to fix, doesn't try any of the reccommended troubleshooting and states he does not want to "fiddle" with his motor. I'm serious, there has to be a word for this kind of boat owner...

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I'd say he is playing it smart for now.He doesn't have a clue.I'm mechanically inclined;my father ran a building moving business
but had trouble changing a light bulb.My brother in law was a brilliant business man with a petroleum company but when the choke chain collar fell of the dog he couldn't figure out how to get it back on her.

Last edited: