30 hp Johnson no water exiting

mhansard_1

Cadet
I just bought a 2001 30 hp Johnson tiller motor. When I hooked up with muffs water pumped strong right away. When I ran w/o muffs, but in a 20 gallon bucket there was no water coming out after running for about three minutes. I shut it down for fear of over heating. I had enough water in the bucket to cover the where the water enters the motor. Am I doing something worng or do you think it's a bad impeller? Any suggestions?

Thanks, Mike

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 30 hp Johnson no water exiting

Best to check the impeller. Often times the pressure from a garden hose is strong enough to push the water all the way thru.

Tom B.
(LongLine)

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

The water level needs to be about halfway up the leg, like were it would be with the boat in the water so it covers the water pump. It cant just cover the intakes.

mhansard_1

Cadet

I was thinking that as well. I will try a bigger bucket an see what happens.

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was thinking that as well. I will try a bigger bucket an see what happens.

The only thing would be if it ran dry for 3 minutes, you could have fried the impeller.

mhansard_1

Cadet

The only thing would be if it ran dry for 3 minutes, you could have fried the impeller.

Keeping my fingers crossed that all is good. It's worth testing with a bigger tank to find out.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Best way to test it is just take it to the lake.

mhansard_1

Cadet

Tested in a larger tank and it worked just fine. Thanks for the help! Although it started on the first pull, the darn rope broke! Can I buy just the rope or the whole recoil assembly? I am such a rookie with these small outboards....lol

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You can get the rope at any BRP dealer or marine supply store. They may have it right here on I-Boats.

Last edited:

James R

Commander

Avoid using lawn mower cord. It will be the wrong size and wont last 5mins. Get the cord that is made for the motor.