video of 1978 70hp johnson water leak

dsujen

Petty Officer 1st Class
motor video - YouTube

Model 70el78c 70hp johnson has water entering the engine cowling base when on muffs in driveway. I took video of what is happening. When reved up water is coming out of the drive shaft area. Ran motor for about 20 minutes with no issues. How do I fix that leak?

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: video of 1978 70hp johnson water leak

You say entering the cowl: can you see water inside the cowl? The video does not show that. My first thought is something is wrong with the water tube from the water pump to the power head. Misaligned or bad grommet maybe. The leg may be filling up with water.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I've seen that same thing some years back and it turned out to be a seal on top of the water pump housing area.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You've got two posts going on here with the same problem. Please stick to one post as it's less confusing. Thank You.

dsujen

Petty Officer 1st Class

bonzoscott, the video doesn't show the water in the cowl because I took apart the covers at the base of the powerhead to see where the water is . The water coming out of the driveshaft puts about 2 inches of water in the lower cowling when it's together. I have been using the boat in this condition over the summer. A parts guy told me that the newer water pumps put out more water than the older motors can handle so it overflows out of the driveshaft housing and into the lower cowling/engine compartment. He said that the mechanics simply drill bigger drain holes near the shock absorbers at the bottom of the exhaust tube. Does that sound right?

dsujen

Petty Officer 1st Class

supreme mariner, how can I give an answer to a question to someone after weeks of being off this site and get a quick answer? I worked on the motor today but asked questions about it weeks ago. That's why I keep on new posting it

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you stick with your original post, don't worry, it will be found. Just post anything new on the original and it will go to the head of the line. That way the readers can get a better history of the problem.

Last edited: