Evinrude 25 HP Wiring Issue

Good Afternoon -

I have a problem with my outboard. Its a Evinrude E25ELCCM (1988 Electric Start, Long Shaft) with an electric priming/fuel pump gizmo. Anywho, the main problem that I have is that when I connect it to power (correct, full power) there is nothing at the turn of the key. As a back story, this engine has been completely underwater before, but I did my homework and took care of it like a baby, so that is not a problem. The new issue is the electrics. I will include pictures to aid you in your help :) When I turn the key with power, nothing happens, but if i put the positive lead to the end on picture 2 (where I'm pointing) and attach the power, it starts without the key, and turns as soon as power is applied. So, there is something wrong with either 1.) The control box 2.) The solenoid or 3.) (im hoping its this one) the wires are not correctly aligned. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! This motor is going on the little red boat at the bottom.

Evinrude2.jpg
Evinrude3.jpg
Evinrude5.jpg
Evinrude4.jpg
2GOtAEU.jpg

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: Evinrude 25 HP Wiring Issue

In the 3rd pic,see that red wire with the bug " bump" in it? That is a fuseholder. If that fuse is bad,nothing happens at the ignition. Check that first!
Grub

jasper60103

Commander

The solenoid gets its ground through the neutral safety switch. Try bypassing the neutral safety switch and see if starts.
Good luck.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Press your choke, if you hear it click in the engine you know you have power to the control box.

In the 3rd pic,see that red wire with the bug " bump" in it? That is a fuseholder. If that fuse is bad,nothing happens at the ignition. Check that first!
Grub

How can I check this fuse? Is there a specific way to check it?

Press your choke, if you hear it click in the engine you know you have power to the control box.

I am hearing no click. What is the next step?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

What is the fuse holder doing connected to that terminal anyway? You need a wiring diagram. A bit of basic electricity knowledge wouldn't hurt either. Know anybody local that can help?

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Yep as FR says something looks suspect with your wiring.
You should have the main neutral wire from the battery connected to a good ground on the motor. The big white +ve there connected to the solenoid should also have a small lead off it at the solenoid which runs to the control box. That wire powers the control box. WIthout it your choke and everything else wont work.
Also one of those little terminals on the solenoid should go to a ground on the engine.
Id say that one with the bulb on it should be connected to the main big white +ve wire. You could do that and then see if your choke works. You then have to find the wire to replace it on the small terminal on the solenoid

What is the fuse holder doing connected to that terminal anyway? You need a wiring diagram. A bit of basic electricity knowledge wouldn't hurt either. Know anybody local that can help?

Anyone got a wiring diagram? That would help A LOT. On the terminal closest to the starter motor, there is a ground that leads to the engine block, so thats covered. Im not quite sure the big red bulb will fit on the big white cable. Is that possible?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

How can I check this fuse? Is there a specific way to check it?

I am hearing no click. What is the next step?
That fuse holder does open up,just carefully grab the ends of it,pull/wiggle it and just check the fuse in there.

That fuse holder does open up,just carefully grab the ends of it,pull/wiggle it and just check the fuse in there.

Ok. Is it like a standard car fuse in looks? I know what they look like if there broken/not broken.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Yup,just be sure to put in the exact replacement,seen a few that people just stick in a longer higher amp fuse or just an incorrect amp one. The fuse should have the rating on it. I think it's around 1-2 amps?

Looked at the fuse, its all good. It was on the wrong terminal. According to the wiring diagram I found, everything should work. I connected it to power, and the primer clicked, and then I turned the key. The solenoid clicked, but the starter didn't move. I checked the battery and the volt reading was close to 13, like 12.8. Any thoughts? It sounds to me as if there isn't enough power, and I did put a starter charger on it. Maybe the wires? They were underwater remember, connected to power.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Bad solenoid. Place the voltmeter on the large terminal on the solenoid that goes to the STARTER -- not the cable coming from the battery. Turn the key to START. No/low voltage = bad solenoid (assuming there is also a click from the solenoid). If the solenoid has been under water, the internals are corroded and the switching cannot occur.

After I dunked the motor, I did replace the solenoid. Would the cable end to the battery (there is no connector, just bare wire) (I know, I need to get a connector) be the make it or break it?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

How have you got the battery wire connected to the solenoid with no connector ??

The connector on the solenoid is there, just not on the battery side.