1970 Evinrude Mate 1.5 hp -- Impeller Replacement & Related Questions

caberg

Cadet
Hi. Brand new to the forum and look forward to conversing with the knowledgeable folks here as I get out of my comfort zone with this new-to-me motor. As background, I just picked this up off Craigslist. From the exterior it looks hardly used, which I guess is a good sign. The people who sold it had never used it and they bought it from a widow whose husband had used it when new and then after he died it sat in storage for many years. The prop came off very easily and it was well lubed, so I'm not sure if that's original or if someone did some maintenance at some point in time.

I plan to do some of the routine items over the winter and am starting with the impeller. I got the prop off and removed the lower unit. (Excuse my terminology if I'm off on a few things.) After removing the two bolts for the lower unit, I had to yank a little bit to get the lower unit to disengage and come off. Hope that's not a bad thing--guess I'll find out when I go to put it back on.

So, my immediate question is whether I should clean up everything seen in the picture (except for the old impeller which is being replaced). There is a fair amount of grime (from exhaust?) around the inside of the lower unit and the housing for the impeller. If so, how do you clean this up, and do you lube everything after? As you can maybe see, there is a slight bit of rust color on the gear shaft, and also down where the shaft heads into the lower unit. The gear shaft itself is also very "dry" whereas most everything else seems to be lubed/greased. What/how do I tend to that?

Thanks for your wisdom on this or any related issues!

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: 1970 Evinrude Mate 1.5 hp -- Impeller Replacement & Related Questions

I would only bother to clean up what is necessary to clean. The inside of the impeller housing and the cover and the the shaft so that the impeller slides into position cleanly.

( That's the drive shaft BTW. This engine has no gear shift. It has a permanent forward drive.

make sure the impeller drive pin is in position when you rebuild it.

Grease the splines on the top of the drive shaft but don't put any grease on the end, just the splines.

You'll have to turn either the propshaft or the flywheel a bit as you refit the unit to get the splines lined up.

Check the gear oil... in fact might as well drain and refill anyway. If the old oil looks milky it means water is getting in. Now is the time to fit new seals if it is.

Should be run on 50:1 fuel: oil mix using a TCW3 oil but being a little generous with the oil wont hurt. Dont be mean with it.

Tip out old fuel, flush out the tank and start with fresh stuff.

When you've done my 6 Hp needs a new impeller!

Last edited:

caberg

Cadet

Hey thanks Vic. How do you advise to clean the inside of the impeller housing etc. and do I lube it with something?

I already drained the gear oil, it looked brown like molasses. Where are the seals anyway? When I took the lower unit off there was no gasket, should there be?

Fuel tank is bone dry and there does not appear to be any rust inside. Up next is a carb cleaning/rebuild.

I am amazed that people are willing to part with their hard earned knowledge here. Good Karma all around.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

:welcome: aboard Caberg! You shouldn't need to clean the inside of the water pump housing unless it all gooked up. If it is, just a little WD-40 on a rag will usually do the trick. Water keeps the inside of the housing lubricated and clean which is why you NEVER want to run the engine without water going to it or you can burn out the impeller in a matter of seconds. Unless you are having trouble putting in the new impeller (and yes you need a new one now and every other year even if it looks good) you shouldn't need any lube. If you do then a little vegetable oil on the tip of your finger to lube up just the inside surface of the water pump housing is all you should need. The gear oil sounds perfect. (color of new oil) You should replace that at least once a year (at the end of the season) and every 25-50 hours of use. Each time you replace the gear oil, and this is important, remember to replace the washers under the drain and fill screws. There is no gasket or seal involved in removing the lower unit. The seals are internal and shouldn't be messed with unless your oil is milky. I strongly suggest you go here:

Boatinfo - The library, containing manuals, brochures and other technical documents from the last hundred years!

and look up your motors manual it will have info and pics to help you get years of enjoyment from it. Of course if you have any other questions we're always here to help. Enjoy!

I also found a cheap parts manual specific to your engine here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Evinru...-Catalog-/190389831362?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Last edited:

caberg

Cadet

Each time you replace the gear oil, and this is important, remember to replace the washers under the drain and fill screws.

Hey tazrig, thanks for the welcome and generous sharing of information. I'm a bit confused on this step. When I removed the gear oil, I followed the advice in the owner's manual by removing the "plug" (the big flathead screw that you can see on the lower unit). The owner's manual also referenced an additional part, I think some sort of seal/washer (don't have it in front of me right now), but all that was there was the screw. The screw came out and the oil drained, nothing else was there. So what am I missing in terms of "replacing the washers under the drain and fill screws"?

Also, should I buy specific Evinrude gear oil? The owner's manual makes a big point of using only the Evinrude "Type C" oil in the gear case, but I see several different types of gear oil on the Evinrude website and none called "Type C".

Thanks for the links. I have purchased the "service manual" for my engine on ebay, and as noted the engine came with original owner's manual, which was very cool. Here's what I'm waiting on in the mail.

For anyone interested, I will be using this engine on a Watertender 9.4 (approx 9 foot) hard dinghy which we use to get to our sailboat on a mooring. Personally, I have not minded rowing, but my 4 year old son has shown great interest in a motor for the dinghy, and I thought that next summer when he's 5 will be a good age to introduce him to the operation of an outboard. He's been "helping" me work on the motor and is pretty excited to see it in action. I grew up using a 1960s 5 hp Evinrude Angler on a 12' aluminum boat and have very fond memories of those times.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Here is where you can get type "c" gear oil for your engine. It doesn't have to come from Evinrude. The Evinrude Co. that built that motor has long since gone out of business and was bought out by Bombardier a while back. They may still sell type "c" if it makes you more comfortable to buy OEM.

Gear Lube Type C, 10 oz - Sierra 18-9620-0 - iboats

It is important to stay with a good marine brand as they are designed to mix with water and give you at least some protection should you spring a leak. The purpose of a washer (made of gasket material) is to help seal out the water. It's possible your 1.5 hp doesn't have one because it is so small that it either doesn't rev high enough or move through the water fast enough to risk water intrusion but I suspect it may just be mashed onto the hole that goes into your lower unit or fell off when the last person changed it. You might want to take a second look. You can dislodge it by GENTLY prying it off with a small regular screwdriver. Your incoming service manual would show it for sure if it is supposed to have one. If it is supposed to have one then you'll want to change it out each time you change the oil. I grew up with a 1969 4hp Johnson on an 8 footer so I know what you mean about fond memories. Those were the best of times! :D

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Your little 1.5 only has a single drain/ fill plug in the gear case. Larger engines have two plugs a drain plug at the lowest point and a "level" plug near the top.

There should be a sealing washer. Usually a nylon or similar hard plastic washer (although some engines have an O ring)

If it has not come out with the plug it may still be stuck in the hole. The new one is part number 0311598.
It is said that reusing old washers is the largest single cause of water intrusion into gearcases.

When you drain the used oil it should still be "clear and bright" in appearance and no more than slightly darker in color than when new.

If it is milky looking then it indicates water has entered.

Three places water can enter:

the drain plug
the seal around the prop shaft ( that is easily damaged by fishing line etc)
the seal around the drive shaft below the water pump housing

and I suppose the O ring between the gearcase head ( propshaft bearing and seal housing) and the gearcase.

Exploded diagrams and parts lists available on the BRP parts website BRP -- Parts Catalogs Dont waste money buying one

caberg

Cadet

Thanks guys. My new impeller and service manual are arriving today according to tracking, and I will get back to the engine in the next few days. Will update with my results. Thanks again.

kbait

Commander

Any outboard gear lube will work. Type 'c' was formulated to not let electricity conduct through it.. for electric shift outboards. Type c will work fine for you, but you don't need that specific type.

Good luck!

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Also, should I buy specific Evinrude gear oil? The owner's manual makes a big point of using only the Evinrude "Type C" oil in the gear case, but I see several different types of gear oil on the Evinrude website and none called "Type C".

Here is where you can get type "c" gear oil for your engine. It doesn't have to come from Evinrude. The Evinrude Co. that built that motor has long since gone out of business and was bought out by Bombardier a while back. They may still sell type "c" if it makes you more comfortable to buy OEM.

Gear Lube Type C, 10 oz - Sierra 18-9620-0 - iboats

Any outboard gear lube will work. Type 'c' was formulated to not let electricity conduct through it.. for electric shift outboards. Type c will work fine for you, but you don't need that specific type.

Good luck!

My understanding was that Type C oil was a slightly lighter weight oil than HiVis etc for the hydraulically assisted electric shifts ( and for some hydraulically assisted manual shifts). It's the first time I have heard than it had any special electrical properties as well.
However the old OMC Type C was, I think you will find, was replaced ( or re-branded? ) "Premium Blend" although Sierra and other continued to market a type C oil as Type C. I do not know if BRP still market "Premium Blend"

I have no idea why the manual for this engine calls specifically for Type C. Not for any special electrical properties for sure but perhaps because a lighter weigh oil is required.
If it were mine I would stick to the Type C, or its equivalent.

Last edited:

nwcove

Admiral

i would guess that its spec'd for type c due to that fact that its only making 1.5hp at the crank.?

caberg

Cadet

Okay, so there is indeed a sealing washer that was "hiding" around the drain hole when I pulled out the plug.

Now the question is, how do I get this 63 cent part (part number 0311598) without paying $8 or $10 for shipping? I was trying to find a website to combine a few other parts that I need into one order, but was having trouble finding everything I need in one place. There's only a few sites I found that sell the washer and each appears to have a base shipping charge that makes the purchase online sort of ridiculous.

Also don't think that I have a local parts place, but if anyone knows of one in the Burlington, Vermont area, I'm all ears.

nwcove

Admiral

try uap-napa. ( must be a uap part number on here somewhere) i would buy at least 6 tho, as you will use two now, two more when you check the gear oil for water, and two at the end of the season when you winterize.

edit: oopps! you only have one plug , so you could possibly be ok with three .

Last edited:

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Okay, so there is indeed a sealing washer that was "hiding" around the drain hole when I pulled out the plug.

Now the question is, how do I get this 63 cent part (part number 0311598) without paying $8 or $10 for shipping? I was trying to find a website to combine a few other parts that I need into one order, but was having trouble finding everything I need in one place. There's only a few sites I found that sell the washer and each appears to have a base shipping charge that makes the purchase online sort of ridiculous.

Also don't think that I have a local parts place, but if anyone knows of one in the Burlington, Vermont area, I'm all ears.

Try here:

Evinrude Drain Screw Gaskets - iboats

Shipping is only $3 and as mentioned above order a bunch as you will need a new one every time you take the screw out to check or change the oil.

Here is the number for the above site. The staff is very helpful and if you give them the part number they can cross reference it for you to make sure it is the correct part. 1-800-743-1123