18hp evinrude wiring key switch

whitejd12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
These pics are inside, right behind kill switch, right of the carb. It looks like maybe something that can be opened up to bring wires up maybe for key switch for electric start. Is that right? If not, what is that and where would I bring wires in to wire up key in an electric start conversion?

image.jpgimage.jpg

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 18hp evinrude wiring key switch

Those two wires are the kill wires for turning it off. They would go to the switch "M" terminals. You need more wires for the electric starting stuff. If you were installing the original factory wiring harness, the present kill button would be removed and the harness plug is secured in the clamp, half of which is showing below the wires in your picture.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

That's the right spot. Just make sure you use a rubber grommet around the wires to keep them from rubbing.

whitejd12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know about the wires etc. I was wondering about that indent with the two screws in the bottom of the pan below those wires. That's some kinda clamp? I've tried to remove those screws......wow! Them babies are in there. Probably ain't been out in 41 years. :) Anyway, if that's just a clamp and not an opening, where does the main wiring from the battery come in?

kfa4303

Banned

yes the indentation/cradle is meant to hold accessories. However, the electric starter itself is mounted vertically. Adding electric start isn't all that hard, but I think it's a little unnecessary. These old 18/20 hp are so easy to pull start that it's hardly worth the effort, expense and added weight. Less is more and unless you're going to be driving exclusively from a helm, I would keep it simple (i.e. tiller drive, starter free). Here are some handy links.

Maintaining Johnson E & FD Serie
Johnson Evinrude Outboard Motor Parts by Year 1955 to 2011 (select year and model number for a complete parts catalog with exploded diagrams)

whitejd12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the advice but I need to do this. I've had two back surgeries and I can't take pulling on it anymore. Hoping to run it off the battery for trolling motor if possible, to avoid the extra battery. We"ll see. Found the bracket today and got it mounted on. Will get starter and other necessities in the next week or two.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I know about the wires etc. I was wondering about that indent with the two screws in the bottom of the pan below those wires. That's some kinda clamp? I've tried to remove those screws......wow! Them babies are in there. Probably ain't been out in 41 years. :) Anyway, if that's just a clamp and not an opening, where does the main wiring from the battery come in?

I thought I explained that. The stop button is removed and a cable plug takes it's place.

#47 internal cable & plug, #2 clamp

#40 external cable & plug.

That's the way the factory did it. You probably will improvise.

Attachments

• 8. 18hp Electric Starter Kit  Starter Motor Group.jpg
    8. 18hp Electric Starter Kit Starter Motor Group.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 7. 18hp Electric Starter Kit.jpg
    7. 18hp Electric Starter Kit.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 0