fuel mixture

reg&yan

Cadet
hi all, this is my first time joining a forum, we have built a family project (glen-L) seaflea, actually it's got a bit out of hand, is constructed 100% marine mahogany material and epoxy glue and completely encapsilated in epoxy, 5 coats.

we we have been switching our 20 hp honda back and forth from the 14' and we picked up a 30 johnson without a manual.
i'm fairly mechanicly inclined but no expert for sure.

first questionDSC07313.jpg
the model is CJ30ECOB - canadian - johson - 30hp - eletric - 1985 - B, i can't find anything about the 'B' only an 'A', any insite would be great.

second question
i have hear the fuel mix coul be 20:1 or 50:1 pending the year, can someone help, please note we intend to run it flat out for the rest of it's life if we can handel it.

thanks
reg&yan

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: fuel mixture

Fuel mix is 50:1. The B or the A at the end of the model # indicates a mid year change.

Welcome to I-Boats.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

please note we intend to run it flat out for the rest of it's life if we can handle it.

thanks
reg&yan
attachment.php

Looks great. Nice work...

What'd Glen-L rate that for?

Last edited:

Bosunsmate

Admiral

As above- 50-1. And check your gear box oil for level and oil texture. If its milky it means waters getting in there. Dont undo the philips screw head on the gear case

reg&yan

Cadet

thanks for the replies

glen-L spec's say 100lbs or 35hp our 20 4stroke honda is about 110lbs, and the 30hp 2stroke johnson says about 120lbs but i have not weighed it yet.

the honda 20 pushes her about 35miles/hr with a factory 15 pitch prop, she could take more prop and the boat handels fanstatic, actually my son is just 16 now and we both are getting board. it handles like a 20' boat in calm water and takes 6-8" chop as long as you can handel the rough ride. we are really excited about the 30 2 stroke, winter struck hard last week some we are stripping her down for a major clean and tune up for the spring. we are also thinking about making a custom trim while we are mounting her on the hull, we mabe looing for some advice once we get more into it.

i'm thinking we might install a seat with a harness for safty, i'm thinking we might get into the 60mile/hr range. the boat weighs about 130lbs and really strong. way more than i ever thought. any thoughts?

the bottom end lub looks used, a little dark but no metal sparkel or milky and is on our list to change, just quirous, what happens if you loosen the phileps screw?

if anyone has some easy tips to make her go faster without major work please share if you don't mind.

thanks again
reg&yan

jbcurt00

Staff member

I can't help w/ performance on the hull or motor..............

If you have any pix of the hull during construction, post up some details in the Resto/Building forum:
Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair

You might get more info about the hull there too, but as a Glen-L design, that forum would also be a good place to look for advice.

Either way you might try a motor thread to get info about getting the most out of your motor, a fuel mixture thread may not get a lot of tech & performance replies, IMHO.

No matter what motor you run, I'd also suggest a service manual to help w/ even just routine maintenance.
Here's one:
Boatinfo - boat brochures and manuals for boats and marine engines! Click the link: Library at the top

And here's another:
EBSCOhost Login

Username: marshall
Password: public

after logon:

Select small engine repair

Select Marine/Boat motor

Scroll down & select manufacturer

Specific for your year & motor would be better, and I would HIGHLY recommend buying a manual (iboats probably sells the manuals you need for either the 20 or the 30)

Based on this pix:
44909.gif

I believe Bosun is referring to part # 13:
Dont undo the philips screw head on the gear case
0308376.jpg

It's the shift lever pivot pin... So you don't want to remove it, unless you SPECIFICALLY NEED to.

Last edited:

reg&yan

Cadet

wow
thanks for the great info.
that's a great heads up on the pivot pin, i'm sure many have done this mistake in the past.
reg

Bosunsmate

Admiral

that's a great heads up on the pivot pin, i'm sure many have done this mistake in the past.
reg
yes it looks harmless but it isnt. Undoing it often means you have to disassemble the whole gearcase to get things back in order.

You might read somewhere that taking the aircover off the front of the carb willl add a couple of horsepower but i think thats being declared a gimmick.
Hopefully your 30 Johnson has a forward control box, unlike that Honda, theres no way i would be liking reaching back trying to find the tiller throttle when underway at pace. You should be able to add one if it doesnt have one currently.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Dead-man throttle. And/or a lanyard kill switch. You don't want that thing coming back around and running over you if you get tossed out.

nwcove

Admiral

thanks for the replies

i'm thinking we might install a seat with a harness for safty,

thanks again
reg&yan

seatbelts and open boats are a bad combo!!! nice little hydro tho!! as per the oil question, i would not think twice about mixing your fuel at 25:1 for a hydoplane application.....i doubt yer gunna do much trolling, so fouling plugs wouldnt be an issue.