96 evinrude timer base

jeffreyw

Cadet
hello trying to figure out ignition. tried test timer base an got no ohms reading from green wire. any suggestions or thoughts ? thx motor seems to miss fire an never run the same twice.:confused:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 96 evinrude timer base

Would be helpful to know just what model/hp engine you are working on. For instance, OMC made two distinctly different larger engines that year, a looper and a crossflow.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Emds, a cross flow in 1996 ?? Please clarify.

jeffreyw

Cadet

how do I tell if looper or cross flow? model E60TLEDR. thx

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the model number. The looper or crossflow refers to the V configurations of the OMC engines. OMC still made the V4 crossflow engine through the 96 model year. You have a 3 cyl inline engine, all of which have been loopers for years. If you are having ignition problems, there is an excellent source for troubleshooting information on your engine: cdielectronics.com Your engine's information starts on page 40 of their troubleshooting guide. There are numerous tests which can be run to test voltage output on both the stator and timer base. (you'll need a special "peak-reading" type voltmeter to do these checks.) The voltage tests will indicate if either device should be condemned (replaced.)

jeffreyw

Cadet

ok I've done ohms test bot tells me stator bad an timer base is too. doesn't seem likely cause keeps battery charged.

jeffreyw

Cadet

I don't have a DVA adaptor for my multimeter. theres no other way to tell for sure ??

....doesn't seem likely cause keeps battery charged.

There are separate coils on the stator for charging and providing pulse voltage to the ignition, so the fact that your battery is charging doesn't rule out anything.

I don't have a DVA adaptor for my multimeter. theres no other way to tell for sure ??

Well, if you had a scope and could figure out how to make it trigger. Otherwise you'll need a DVA adapter to be able to measure the very short duration pulses.