Serial and model number missing? Then how to test power pack and coils.

endurobob

Recruit
My first post.

I have a 6hp Evinrude and have not found the serial nor model numbers. Having trouble getting photos to upload.

Once I have determined what I have I would be able to purchase a factory service manual....where do I get one?

I disconnected one spark plug wire at a time and I have determined that one cylinder is not firing. The motor runs in neutral but delivers a very low amount of power under load which is understandable.
I have an Etec digital multimeter. I have removed the power pack and the coils are disconnected and dangling from the wire to the kill button. How do I test the power pack and coils? I am assuming that a coil or wire is not working. There are no part numbers on the coils. I can take additional photos if necessary.
I thank you in advance for any assistance and will answer forum replies diligently. I plan to fish for Black-mouth Chinook salmon in December through February. I live on Orcas Island San Juan Islands Washington.

Bob C.

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Serial and model number missing? Then how to test power pack and coils.

My first post.

I have a 6hp Evinrude and have not found the serial nor model numbers. Having trouble getting photos to upload.

Once I have determined what I have I would be able to purchase a factory service manual....where do I get one?

I disconnected one spark plug wire at a time and I have determined that one cylinder is not firing. The motor runs in neutral but delivers a very low amount of power under load which is understandable.
I have an Etec digital multimeter. I have removed the power pack and the coils are disconnected and dangling from the wire to the kill button. How do I test the power pack and coils? I am assuming that a coil or wire is not working. There are no part numbers on the coils. I can take additional photos if necessary.
I thank you in advance for any assistance and will answer forum replies diligently. I plan to fish for Black-mouth Chinook salmon in December through February. I live on Orcas Island San Juan Islands Washington.

Bob C.
Hi Bob.Have you checked to see if the model# is on the quarter sized welch plug on top of the motor behind the flywheel?
Geoffwga1

endurobob

Recruit

Bingo! Thank You. 6904e.
Thank you!
My photo posts still don't seem to appear.
I'll keep trying.PB070546.jpgPB070545.jpgPB070543.jpgPB070542.jpgPB070541.jpg

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Go to cdielectronics.com for good trouble shooting procedures.

endurobob

Recruit

Go to cdielectronics.com for good trouble shooting procedures.

Thank you.

This is what it said for my power pack testing.

Check the stator input diodes connected inside the power pack using a meter set to diode scale. If
the readings show a short or open, replace the power pack.

Brown wire Black wire 0.500 ....My reading 571 so it is ok
Brown/Yellow wire Black wire 0.500 .....My reading 571 so it is ok
Black/Yellow wire Brown wire 0.500 My reading open so it may not be ok
Black/Yellow wire Brown/Yellow wire 0.500 My reading open so it may not be ok
I'll have my power pack tested by an expert tomorrow.

I will test my coils when I get back to the boat in my yard.

Thanks again,
Bob C

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral

is that a black burn mark on one of the coils??? (bottom left side of the coil on tight side of picture)

endurobob

Recruit

is that a black burn mark on one of the coils??? (bottom left side of the coil on tight side of picture)

To Crosbyman,
No it is not a burn mark. I just went down to look at that coil after reading your post. The black smudge was actually gone. don't know where it came from nor where it went. I did remember that that is the coil that attaches to the not firing cylinder. I will be testing the coils and the power pack at an outboard repair shop on the mainland on Wednesday morning. I will give a report when I know more.
Thank you for your help. I feel that I am getting closer to knowing the source of the problem and the solution.
I like knowing about the motor on which my life could depend this winter.
Sincerely,
Bob C
Deer Harbor, WA