1996 johnson 150 alarm

D MC

Recruit
My alarm sounds 3 minutes 15 seconds after starting motor , shut it off crank it back up and 3 minutes 15 seconds starts sounding agin. It beeps for 2 sceonds then stops for an instant and the only way to get it to stop doing this is to shut the motor off. I can't find anything in the clymber book that helps me.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 johnson 150 alarm

If instead of a 2 second delay, it is actually a 1 second delay, that would indicate a oil problem at the VRO pump.... either a oil restriction, air in the oil line, or a failure of the oil side of the VRO pump.

If you apple pressure to the oil primer bulb... does that stop the beeping momentarily? If so, this (above) is your problem.

(VRO Horn Warnings)
(J. Reeves)

NOTE: I retired around 1991/92. Possibly some of the later V4 engines and others may also incorporate a fuel vacuum switch that would enable a fuel restriction warning to sound as mentioned below, an unknown factor to myself.

1 - A steady constant beep = Overheating - The V/6 engines, possibly some others, have a fuel restriction warning which is also a steady constant beep.

2 - A beep every 20 or 40 seconds = oil level has dropped to 1/4 tank. (Late model engine = Every 40 seconds)

3 - A beep every other second = VRO failure, air leak in oil line, oil restriction, (anything that would result in a lack of oil being supplied to the engine).

NOTE - If the warning horn is the black plastic (overpriced) three wire type horn, the warning horn should beep once when the ignition key is turned to the ON position. If it does not, it is either faulty or someone has disconnected it (a stupid move!). At any rate, if it does not beep which indicates that the horn is non functional, find out why and do not run the engine until the problem is corrected.

D MC

Recruit

Joe thanx for your response. This is my first time using the thread fourm so I didn't know how to get back to you. Hopefully you get this. Your right it is a 1 second long beep. I pumped the oil bulb when it started beeping but it kept beeping. The bulb was already tight,but I tried anyway.Also I found out if I raise the rpms up the beeping gets faster ??? Agin thanx D MC

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Yes, just clicking on reply and answering as you did prints out the post as you can well see... nothing to it. The oil bulb does stay hard but applying pressure to it usually makes the beeping stop as it is then forcing oil into the VRO.

The increase in the beeping when you raise the rpms is something I've not come across though, and since I retired in 1991, I'm not familiar with your engines design so rather then try to guess and possiby lead you astray, I'll back out of here and hopefully another member with knowledge of your engine's circuitry will jump in here with proper advice.

It does sound like a VRO failure to me but the 1996 circuitry may play into this via a feedback of some kind.

James R

Commander

It is possible that you are getting two signals feeding the alarm horn. One, oil shortage and two, fuel shortage. For safety during testing use a container of 50:1 mix to feed the motor. Try disconnecting the connectors, first the oil tank signal wire and secondly at the vacuum switch. The vacuum connector is near the fuel bracket under the air box at the front of the motor. The oil tank wire connector is usually lying in the bottom of the motor casing. Disconnecting will turn the horn off and will tell you which circuit or circuits are causing the problem.

D MC

Recruit

I ended up putting another vro on and it ran without alarm sounding off. Thanx for the info.