1959 35 HP Johnson on 1959 Gale 15' fiberglass wiring questions

Jrrando

Cadet
picked up the boat and engine for almost nothing. Almost all original and the engine is in great shape except the wiring was falling apart. It has the 35 hp super seahorse. My o/b does not have a generator but the wiring on the boat had the voltage regulator, extra wires, etc. Should this engine have had the generator set up? I don't need it and rewired the entire boat and took out all of the extra stuff I don't need.

This should not cause a problem, right? The battery will only be used to run the electric start and I can charge it every once in a while.

All I did was wire the ignition switch, choke, the safety switches, the magneto ground wires, and the battery cables to and from the engine, starter, solenoid, etc.

anyone see anything that I may be missing?

thanks for any help...

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1959 35 HP Johnson on 1959 Gale 15' fiberglass wiring questions

If it had a charging system it would have a generator about the size of the starter and opposite it.
A brief look at a 59 catalog I didn't see a indication of a charging system though I'm sure there was an option for one.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1959 35 HP Johnson on 1959 Gale 15' fiberglass wiring questions

The generator kit was an accessory option. Yes, you can run without one, as thousands of others have. If you want, there is a shallow junction box cover for use without the regulator. Those regulators are rather expensive, don't just throw it away. Somebody might want it.