1984 35Hp Johnson

Dan F

Recruit
I just put this motor on my boat and fired it up here at my house and it ran good. so it took it to the water and took off and ran it for about 40min and turn it off and it didn't start back up, so I squeeze the fuel bulb and it didn't pump up the pressure very good at all, so I try starting and it started and died. pump the bulb for a min or two and it started and died it acts like there may be and air leak in the fuel system, I don't see any leaks at all. anybody come across this?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 1984 35Hp Johnson

Yep lots, you arent the first.
Its a fault somewhere from the tank to the carburettor. First of all you need to get that bulb hard before you start it otherwise it will die as if it doesnt get hard it shows that somethings not working right.
Try taking the fitting off the side of the fuel line that attaches to the engine and priming the bulb. Fuel should squirt out of there very strongly. If not suspect a faulty bulb or a leak somewhere back to the pick up in the tank.
If it does squirt fuel out strongly check that when you a priming and the bulb isnt getting hard if any fuel is dripping out the front of the motor.
It sounds more to me like a hole in the pick up tube in your tank or a failing fuel bulb