So close....Evinrude Ficht stalls above idle

rustyscrew

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My evinrude 115 1999 ficht (e115fpxeec) stalls when the throttle advances above idle (disengaged). I posted earlier on this and went down the path of spark plugs. I am going to replace the plugs tomorrow, but I don't think that is the main problem. I checked it again tonight and it is a very abrupt stall as if spark is being cut to all. It runs reasonably well at idle and if I can jam it past the dead spot in the throttle it will rev up. and stay. There is just a dead spot in the throttle that kills the engine.

I recently replaced the diaphragm in the lift pump, but I can't think why this would cause this. Also, both PORT side spark plugs are heavily coated in carbon, whereas the starboard side is clean.

Could throttle sensor be bad? What would kill electricity just above idle? I am a bit stumped.

rustyscrew

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: So close....Evinrude Ficht stalls above idle

didn't get any responses, but i just solved the problem. turns out the mechanic reversed the spark plug wires to the starboard side. caused it to stall on advance. so much for the pros. they replaced the vst, manifold and were about to replace all the injectors. I paid them $2000 for nothing and now I just fixed it for $50. Anyway, thanks to all the feedback at Iboats forum, I stayed on it and finally solved it. Purring like a kitten. Thanks folks.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

It's always the little things that will get you. Been there a number of times. If I was you I'd go back to them and tell them what you found. There's no excuse for that and if they would have tested it properly when they got done they would have found it. Tell them you want some money back!!!

Last edited:

rustyscrew

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. Yes I intend to tell them, but I doubt they will give me any money back without going through small claims. I am not prepared to do that so I will just suck it up. Unfortunately, since the boat was sitting in their lot for so long, the steering seized and the cable is permanently fused inside the tilt tube. I spent most of yesterday trying to get it out, but its a lost cause. Gonna have to replace tube and cable. Someday I will go fishing again ;)

boobie

Supreme Mariner

How did you try to get the cable out ??

rustyscrew

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Super late response to Boobie, I just saw your question at the end of thread I posted back in November. You guys have been great answering questions so I owe it to you.

It was a real beast to get the cable out. I started by tying a bag full of a penetrant to the end and raising it so the head pressure would help push into the tilt tube. That almost worked and I got the cable moving in the tilt tube, but it bound up permanently before I could get it out. I had to replace the whole tube and cable.