Wrong plugs causing stalling in Evinrude 115 FICHT?

rustyscrew

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Evinrude 115Hp 1999 FICHT (E115fpxeec)

My mechanic put Champion 7112 plugs in.

It runs ok at idle, but stalls when I advance the throttle (disengaged). If I punch it past the stall point it will rev up and run fine. If I return the throttle quickly to idle position, it will come back and idle fine, but if I move slowly through that range, it stalls. So basically there is a dead spot where it stalls that is just above idle.

I noticed that the plugs look wrong to me. They put in Champion 7112 plugs and I think they should be QC12PEP. I know these engines are sensitive to gap, index and type so I am wondering if this could be the problem.

These guys were supposed to be the go to Evinrude mechanics for the San Francisco bay area, so I am doubting myself wondering whether I am missing something. Of course I have been cleaning up after their mistakes in other areas too.

Before I go throwing more money and willy nilly replacing plugs, curious if anyone has some insight on whether these are really the wrong plugs and whether the y could be the sole source of my stalling problem.

thanks

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Wrong plugs causing stalling in Evinrude 115 FICHT?

there are many wrong things here...

when you have the old style not pinned cylinderhead ( by factory you should have with a pre 2000 V4 ) the manual calls for 7712 (not 7112!!) and if your engine was someday improved with pinned heads it calls for XC12PEPB . QC12PEP are only for the big bore 90deg V6 engines and in any case also wrong.

verify if you have pinned heads or not and verify if you only made a typo or have the wrong plugs installed in any case.

this is a great article with veryfying pinned heads, correctly indexing the plugs and a table of the correct plugs for a given appication :

http://www.boatsetup.com/PlgIndex.pdf

cheers