Evinrude 2.5 HP Pull Rope Not Catching all the time FIRST POST HELP!

Ripekg

Seaman Apprentice
I am writing as a NEWBIE to iBoats and Boating all together. I purchased a used setup and tried the Avon 9' with 2.5 HP engine. We had a great day on the water but noticed some issues with the outboard. Here's what I've done so far.

- Changed oil/Lube
- Changed Spark Plugs
- Test Ran it for 4 hours.
- Stopped 3-5 times on lake but started back up
- Lowest idle speed would cause it to die.

MAIN PROBLEM NOW ...

Pull Rope ONLY seems to work if I pull the rope ALL THE WAY out and LET IT GO back into chamber. Then it catches. If I draw it back holding onto the rubber pull handle it won't catch at all. I go back and forth with the rope and it doesn't catch. If I once again pull it all the way out and let go of handle, it slaps back in and seems to catch and the engine starts just fine.

I presume a clutch assembly is involved here or the likes? I've tried to visit several forums including this one for tips on what to look for, but I'm down to this ... attempting this post and hopefully get some good help!

One day, when I grow up in the genre of OUTBOARDS I will do the same for someone else. In the mean time, I hope I can get some great input here and fix this issue relatively easy.

Thanks again for all you guys do on this forum.

Eli :joyous:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 2.5 HP Pull Rope Not Catching all the time FIRST POST HELP!

What year is the motor?
Speaking generically it may just need cleaning and lube.

Last edited:

Ripekg

Seaman Apprentice

I believe the year is around 1989
1989 Evinrude
E3BRCE

Appreciate your input here. I will be doing a cleaning first which seems like the easiest of fixes. What would you suggest to clean it out. WD?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The starter is part of the motor cover.Don't attempt to remove the screw on top of the cover.
It appears the starter is pretty typical.There is a drive pawl,a friction spring and 2 links.
The illustration indicates these are under the pulley.The friction spring has a loop on each end.
I believe its' purpose is to apply friction so the pawl moves outward to engage the flywheel.
Cleaning would depend on what you find.I'm thinking some sort of light grease to lube the moving parts.
Not so much that it messes up the friction spring.