Evinrude Starflite 100 hp 1967

mgsolakis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Does anyone know the weight of a 1967 Evinrude Starflite 100 hp? Are these good motors? How did they compare with the Mercury 1000 of the same era?

Thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude Starflite 100 hp 1967

State of the art in 1967. But that was over 40 years ago. On the plus side, although it uses the sometimes troublesome Battery CD Pulse Pack ignition, it still has the belt driven distributor......worlds better than the under-flywheel POS distributor that followed in later years.

It has the four barrel carburetor, much more efficient than the two barrel downdraft carburetor on smaller motors of the year. However, repair kits for it are hard to find and outrageously expensive.

I does not have the very complicated wiring junction box of previous years.

It has a high output, voltage regulated alternator

It has Electric Shift. That's good or bad according to one's opinion. But this one uses the large lower unit that was used on V8 inboard-outboards, so it is uber tough. The push button switch in the control is hard to find and outrageously expensive......and they DO go bad.

Compare to Merc?? Heck, we could fight all day on that one.

mgsolakis

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks F_N you covered the ins and outs really well. The only answer I did not get was weight? Does anyone know the weight? Ballpark is fine of course. I'm guessing it's around 300 lbs but that may be too much.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Oops, and I looked the weight up but forgot to include it. 263 pounds.