1968 3hp Evinrude folding shaft fuel pump

SouthernDawg

Cadet
Hello. I got anew fuel pump for my little Evinrude 1968 3hp however when I tried to install it the long mounting bolts do not line up. If I try to turn it 90 degrees to make the long bolts line up it doesn't look right and will bend the fuel lines too much. I thought of switching the bolts but that wont work as the smaller bolts are threaded for the pump itself. Thanks in advance.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1968 3hp Evinrude folding shaft fuel pump

Can you make it work by installing new (longer) fuel lines? Keep in mind that the plastic cover that accepts the larger hose can be rotated in four positions. Also keep in mind that it has to be installed right side up.

That would be the preferable way of doing it. If that is just plain out of the question, the pump can be taken apart and reassembled for whatever positions you need. But don't you dare even think about it unless you have the instructions and follow them to the letter. It is complicated.

SouthernDawg

Cadet

Can you make it work by installing new (longer) fuel lines? Keep in mind that the plastic cover that accepts the larger hose can be rotated in four positions. Also keep in mind that it has to be installed right side up.

That would be the preferable way of doing it. If that is just plain out of the question, the pump can be taken apart and reassembled for whatever positions you need. But don't you dare even think about it unless you have the instructions and follow them to the letter. It is complicated.

Thanks brother but let me make sure I have this straight. I can loosen the large headed screw on the center top of pump and rotate the large hose. I need to rotate it 90 degrees clockwise. If this is true then that may solve the problem. Also what do you mean by "right side up"? BTW I took one of these apart before... never again!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It should be marked "UP" on one edge. And yes, that is what I meant by rotating the plastic cap. Actually, there is a filter screen under it.

SouthernDawg

Cadet

I couldn't find an "up" but there is an inverted "V" on the edge of one the metal plate. With the pump installed it will point northeast??

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If not mistaken, I think there is a tiny little slot on one of the mating surfaces of plastic to metal housing. That slot should be on the down side.

SouthernDawg

Cadet

Thanks Bonzo but I cannot find an "up" and no slots. The problem is that they sent me a pump that mounts 90 degrees off the one that was taken off (original part). I can adjust the top fuel line but the small one is in a tight space and I will really kink the hose to make it work. No matter what I do the pump will still be mounted 90 degrees off... I hope this don't mess up the function of the pump. I don't know much at all about outboards but I wonder what difference it makes to have it "right side up" as there are no markings on the pump.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If there are no markings, ignore what I said. It can be debated whether it really makes any difference anyhow. But the theory is that air bubbles can collect in the top of the pump, and the pump's outlet valve ideally should be high up to expel those bubbles as they collect. As I said, that can be debated, especially on such a small pump.

SouthernDawg

Cadet

F_R, thanks. I finally got the pump installed. Doing as you suggested the big line was no problem however the smaller line took some engineering. With my fuel pump the small line ( output ?) had to point either straight up or down as opposed to the side as on the original. If I tried to point it up there was literally no room and the fuel line kinked badly. I even thought of putting in an elbow however ... no room for that either. I then turned the pump 180 degrees with the small line pointing downward and was able to reroute the smaller line around the back of a spark plug wire and was able to connect it to the fuel line with a nice, smooth radius and no serious bend/kink in the line. Now it's 5am here and I'm waiting for daybreak to try it out!! Will keep y'all posted. I was glad to hear all the positive comments on the Rude jwf 3hp. The one I have looks pristine with the exception of the top cover with normal wear and tear. I also have a carrying case in great condition. Let's just hope it runs now.

SouthernDawg

Cadet

The good news is that I choked it, gave couple pulls and it took right off. but I have a cooling question. Where does the water discharge on this model. jwf23a??? I noticed there is about a 1/4" hole just below ehre the unit folds but no water coming out.

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Not familiar with your engine but do make sure that the water level in your tub or bucket is well above the water pump to make it work and not overheat. Good luck.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral

folding 3hp Jw's with case go for $400 and up around here !!!

Seen on at $700 (asking price) which look like it came out of the dealer showroom.

Last edited: