Question on Removing Power Head on 1976 25hp Evinrude 25602

brokenjack

Cadet
The shift lever is pretty hard to move back and forth, and I think I need to get the power head off to clean out the old grease and crud and re-lube the inner workings. Manual says I need to remove the flywheel/carb etc. The engine runs pretty well, and I don't want to mess around with that much removal. Can I take the powerhead off without removing everything the manual says? I know the obvious things to disconnect, but the manual seems to suggest overkill. I already have the lower unit w/driveshaft off to do an impeller install.

Thanks for any advice

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Question on Removing Power Head on 1976 25hp Evinrude 25602

Yes, exactly, the manual always states overkill. Ignore it and only remove what absolutely needs to be removed. Make notes and take pictures before you remove items/components. The average boater thinks he/she will remember which way that short linkage goes... but it just doesn't work that way.

brokenjack

Cadet

Thanks. I guess I just needed confirmation. Never worked on an outboard. Maybe I'll do a video.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The manual (incorrectly?) assumes you are going to disassemble the powerhead for repairs once you get it off. If that were true, it is easier to remove all that stuff while it is bolted down and you can wrench on it.

What does make the job easier is to remove the shifter interlock from the side of the powerhead and the vertical throttle shaft from the other side. Not really necessary for getting it off, but certainly makes putting it back on easier.

brokenjack

Cadet

Are you talking about the lock out device that keeps you from starting in gear? If so, the actual piece that locks the flywheel has long been removed but the springed lever is still there. Seems like I could just get rid of that too right? STRIKE THAT. DUMB QUESTION.

Last edited: