1980 9.9hp evinrude kill switch

Rad2101

Seaman
Hi guys,

I have an old 1980 9.9hp evinrude that has had the kill switch wires cut off just near the top of the head. There is a clip there that holds the loom and the 2 wires have just been cut of at that point. There is no sign of where they go. Cant find where they were cut from.Any ideas on where they would connect to. I'm guessing one is ground but not sure where the other would of wired into previously. Hoping to restore this function as now I have to throttle down and choke to stop it.

Wire colours are black/black-yellow stripe.

any help much appreciated.

cheers

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1980 9.9hp evinrude kill switch

The black/yellow wire of the powerpack connects to one terminal of the stop switch.... the other terminal od the stop switch connects to any powerhead ground.

Rad2101

Seaman

Just looking at some pics of another one of these engines. It appears that that stop switch is wired to the coils. One side of switch to one coil and other side of switch to the other coil. Does this sound right? Would it work to kill the motor.

I dont see a power pack on this motor unless it is under the flywheel.

Thanks

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander

if you dont have a power pack maybe the motor is older than 1980. i believe they came out in 1977. do you know the model number?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The 9.9hp & 15hp that we're familiar with nowadays came out in 1974.... and they had points, condensers and coils. The stop wires were atached to the two set of points, the coils indirectly.

Rad2101

Seaman

The label on the transom mount says E10RCSE which should be a 1980 model but its possible some parts have been replaced over the years. Powerhead and other parts may actually be a different year.

I might pop the flywheel off and have a closer look. I can usually throttle down and choke it off so no big problem. I'd just like to have everything working. The wires must have been cut for a reason, maybe the kill switch was faulty and intermittently shorting out.

I'll keep looking.

Thanks again.

AlTn

Commander

black/yellow goes to the powerpack...black <ground>shows going to ground at one of the coil mounting screws of the #2 <lower> cylinder ....this info is from fsm for 1978 9.9/15 hp

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

My '78 _ goes to coils.

Mystery why it would be rigged like that. The kill circuit of a 1978 9.9hp and 15hp is...... Black/Yellow wire leading from powerpack to the kill switch... other lead of the kill switch leads to a ground.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

All you need is a push button switch to kill the engine. Connect one of the wires to one terminal on the switch and the other to the other terminal. Push and hold the button to kill the engine. Or you can use a SPST (On-OFF) switch to do the same thing. In the ON position the engine dies. In the OFF position the engine runs. Yes -- that sounds counter-intuitive but that's the way a magneto system works. You GROUND out the ignition to kill the engine. You remove the ground to allow the engine to run.

Rad2101

Seaman

Thanks guys. I guess it comes down to the year then. Anyone have a wiring diagram of either mentioned above?? The version going to the coils or the version grounding the ignition. Maybe a link to where I might find a diagram.

The switch and wires are still in place and they end where they were cut just under the flywheel near the top coil. Before I pull the flywheel I might try shorting the coils and see if this kills it. Without a diagram I dont know which is the ignition where the (black/yellow wire) should go to.

Thanks

AlTn

Commander

try googling..leeroysramblings...omc related articles....9.9/15 hp. maintenance and repair...he has posted pics of the ignition systems 1974-1976 and 1977-....from these can you determine which ignition you have?

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Mystery why it would be rigged like that. The kill circuit of a 1978 9.9hp and 15hp is...... Black/Yellow wire leading from powerpack to the kill switch... other lead of the kill switch leads to a ground.
My apologies to Joe, OP & all. Fading memory.. This attachment (may have come from Joe) shows it.
electrical diagram-electric.jpg

Rad2101

Seaman

Thanks guys, I'll check it out. See if this wiring is the same.

cheers