1999 Johnson outboard 60hp will trim tilt down but not UP

samzee

Cadet
I'm a new boat owner and I'm having issues with the trim on my motor. The hydraulic system allows it to move down but won't go back up. When I hit the up button it clicks and nothing happens. Yesterday at the lake it was fine and the water was rough so we got bounced around a lot and when taking the boat out of the water, it wouldn't go up. I hit the up button and down button 20 times or so then the up worked. Now at home with the motor in its resting position with the bracing lever down, I can't get it to go up at all. The down powers and appears to be fine but there is no room for it to go down any further. I followed the wires and ensured the wires are properly connected, but don't know where else to troubleshoot the problem. Any help would be much appreciated

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1999 Johnson outboard 60hp will trim tilt down but not UP

Go back on the motor and find the box that has the t/t relays in it. Open the cover and try swapping the relays and at the same time check the connections for any corrosion.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Yep, what Boobie said. After switching the relays, if the problem reverses itself (up but no down), you have a bad relay.

samzee

Cadet

As a novice, this is embarrassing but I can't find the relay. With the cover off it appears that the trim/tilt switch has 3 cables. Red blue green. Those run to a connector(with clean good connections) where the red goes to the battery and the green and blue run through a housing directly to the solenoid. Is the relay inside the solenoid or has someone hidden or removed the relay or???

RRitt

Captain

follow the wires from your trim motor until you find a small rectangular box. Inside the box you should find some terminal posts, wires, and two relays. You probably have a bad relay. Boobie's advice about making sure connections are clean is golden. If you don't then there is big chance you'll be back later.

samzee

Cadet

Switched the relays and up works and down doesn't. Seems like replacing the bad relay will fix the problem. I appreciate the help and will update once I get a new relay

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Put both in. If one is bad the other is not far behind.

samzee

Cadet

Will do. Thanks again for your help