1955 Evinrude Aquasonic 7.5hp - Starter issues

cmcastle

Recruit
So I have been trying to restore a 1955 Evinrude 7.5 hp motor that came with a boat I recently purchased. I had some issues with the starter but with the amazing help from these forums I was able to get the spring seated on the shoulder to get the pawls to engage with the fly wheel. After taking the starter off to check the fly wheel one day the pawls stopped working and those tiny springs started to break when I tried to re seat the other spring. I am not sure the rope is the correct length. On top of all that, it is incredibly hard to pull the starter with the spark plugs in but when I take them out it is a little bit easier. I REALLY want to get it up and running but I am getting worried that I might not be able too.

I looked everywhere on line because I figured it might be better to just buy the whole starter assembly but can not find one anywhere. Any suggestions? Is it a lost cause? I haven't even been able to attempt to start it and it's killing me! :facepalm:

Thanks guys

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1955 Evinrude Aquasonic 7.5hp - Starter issues

Dual post

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Those starters were harder to pull than later models, but shouldn't be as bad as you describe. A common problem on those motors is a broken shock absorber shaft in the lower unit, making it hard to rotate the shaft. If the flywheel is difficult to rotate with plugs out and starter removed, that would be prime suspect.

EDIT: On a less serious note, there were two look-alike recoil springs back then. One was for small motors and other was for like 35hp. The big motor spring was much stronger and if put in a small motor starter it became very hard to pull. With as many part number changes and various aftermarket offerings, it is hard to guess what's in there now.

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

First of all this endeavor is not a loss cause.

Until you repair your recoil starter you can remove the cowlings and rope start your motor. On top of the flywheel there is a cut out notch to wrap a starter rope around to starter the motor.

If you need parts for the starter or a another good used starter then you can go to AOMCI (Antique Outboard Motor Club Inc) and put a free WTB (want to buy) ad on their Webvertise section. There are a lot members that have parts motors as well as outboard motor parts suppliers that have what you need.

The Antique Outboard Motor Club Forums - Webvertize

Please read the rules for posting or they will delete ad.