2000 or 2001 Johnson 40hp problems

Redstern

Cadet
So as said in the title I have a Johnson 40hp, I don't remember if it is a 2000 or 2001. So it is very difficult to start when it is cold because although it starts right up, it stalls almost immediately. If I want to warm it up I have to put the fast idle up and even then it will still stall pretty quick until it warms up. Once it warms up though it runs fine. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that the problem is that the carbs are a big gunked up, I think that if I take them off and clean them it should be fine. So the other problem is with the power trim. It has a hard time lifting the motor. It can't lift it at all when I am moving. The sound it makes when it is struggling isn't to great, and when it is on land the motor very very slowly goes down when it is up. Im going to check the fluid level and refill it if needed. Let me know if there is anything else that can cause this.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2000 or 2001 Johnson 40hp problems

Are you pushing in the key when trying to start it and then feathering it after it starts ?? Check the fluid in your T/T first before working on it.

Redstern

Cadet

Yes I push the key in when I start it. And I try to feather it to keep it on but it usually stalls anyway. And for the power trim, checking the fluid level is going to be the first thing I do.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Will it keep running if you hold the key in ?? If it does, it's carb time.

Redstern

Cadet

OK thanks. Next time I get the chance I will check that.