1965 18 hp evinrude runs... Now What????

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok here is the deal, i bought this motor 15 years ago it ran good, was in storage for the last twelve years here... thanks to all you out the i was able to rebuild the magneto system...* this is my first boat motor also) now it runs good but i want to change the water pump. any good videos out there on this? like i said first motor and i could not have made it this far with out this site and all you all out there !!!

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
Re: 1965 18 hp evinrude runs... Now What????

just remove the bottom bolt behind the side plate , remove the bolts that hold up the gearcase then drop the lower section
open up the water pump and replace the impeller . reassemble in reverse order,

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/06/columns/max/index7.htm

see quote....

The lower bolt of this coupler must be completely removed, as the bolt engages a groove in the lower portion of the shift shaft, and merely loosening the bolt will not free the lower shaft. If you drop the bolt down into the exhaust housing at this point, it is no big deal, as the bolt will fall out the bottom of the exhaust housing as the lower unit is removed. If you

Last edited:

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks so much for the great info on the water pump, one quick quetion do i need to drain the lower unit before i take the bolts lose and pull it off ???
and thanks again to all of you out there for the help no way would i have made it this far with out you...

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral

drain of water ... no there is no water left in the pump

drain of oil... no .....oil is under the pump and sealed away under the main shaft

when reassembling take care to line up the water tube and keep gears and shift lever in neutral test everything after

orient pump impleller fins properly and coat fins with a bit of vaseline ( petrolium jelly)

dont forget to reconnect the shift shaft and bolt & close up the shift shaft side plate.

test everything after !!

Last edited:

BlueGhost93

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What happens if you don't lign up the water tube? I assume I wouldn't even be able to bolt it back together unless it was lined up right?

I am new to this too, just one successful pump change under my belt. It is possible and very easy to put it back together (on my model at least) without the tube inserted correctly into the pump. The tube kind of flops around and is easy to miss. I had to position it with a piece of wire while I pushed the lower unit up. If you miss, the water pump will just be spraying water up into the midsection instead of up into the motor.

BlueGhost93

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well that would mean no water would shoot out of that open hole towards the top of the shaft?

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral

end result is the same ... overheat and death

better line things up on the pump body and up its rear end

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

ok here is the deal, i bought this motor 15 years ago it ran good, was in storage for the last twelve years here... thanks to all you out the i was able to rebuild the magneto system...* this is my first boat motor also) now it runs good but i want to change the water pump. any good videos out there on this? like i said first motor and i could not have made it this far with out this site and all you all out there !!!

Here is a link to an article that some good information about your motor. Go to section on how to remove the lower unit.

Maintaining Johnson E & FD Serie

****Remember to unplug the spark plug wires so accidental starting does not happen. You can also remove the spark plugs themselves to make it easier to turn the propeller and the top of the drive shaft to line up the spines with the bottom of the crankcase.

Remember to change the o-ring (part 11) at the top of drive shaft (part 15) and apply a light coat of marine grease at the top portion of the drive shafts spines. Do not put the grease on tip top of the drive shaft, it may make it difficult realign the with bottom of crank shaft spines. The o-ring and grease help keep water out of the bottom of the crankshaft spines and prevent rusting.

Evinrude Gearcase Group Parts for 1965 18hp 18502 Outboard Motor

Here is a video on how to change your impeller. It not 100% exactly how to do it, but it will give you a very good idea.

CD_Water_Pump.mp4 - YouTube

When you go to put the lower unit back to lower part of the exhaust housing try to make sure you insert the copper water tube (part 9) with (part 10) in the pump housing. You can use a light coat of oil on the bottom of the water tube hanging from motor to make it easier to slide in back in.

As you are trying to align the both halves you will have turn prop clockwise some to line of the lower crankcase splines with the splines on the top the drive shaft.

The article by LeeRoy I supplied above describes the caution when re-securing the upper and lower shift rods with the connector.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

David

Attachments

• 278647-GEARCASE-GROUP.jpg
    278647-GEARCASE-GROUP.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 0

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok thanks to all for all the great info, ordered all the parts should arrive Thursday, This will be my first water pump work and i would not have even tried with out the help of all you out there.. I will post the results or more questions....(what ever comes first) as soon as i can

THANKS

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok quick question before i start on this repair... I took off the plate to access the shift link coupler and saw every thing coated with what looked like carbon, a black crust that i could scrape off with a screw driver, is this normal? it looks very dry in there. should i oil it up before or after i take it apart.....

Thanks to all again for all your help.

kfa4303

Banned

Hi monriverguy. Don't worry about the crud, that's perfectly normal. The exhaust gasses and cooling water all pass through that area and leave the deposits behind. You next step is to remove the lower bolt from the cupler, then flip the motor into FWD, which should separate the two shift rods. Although, you may need to use a pair of needle nose pliers to tug down on the lower shift rod to get it to come free. You can now loosen the 5 bolts that hold on the lower unit. After the bolts are removed the, LU should start to drop down on its own. When you remove it, the copper water uptake tube may come with it, but that's ok, you can always put it back into position just prior to the reinstall. Once the LU is off, you simply remove the black, o-ring at the top of the drive shaft, remove the screws of the impeller housing, then slip the housing off the top of the drive shaft, followed by the impeller itself. You then simply slide the new impeller back in place until it sits flush on the ware plate. You then reinstall the o-ring and housing (be sure to rotate the drive shaft clockwise by hand while lowering the housing), followed by the completed LU. It can be a little tricky getting the drive shaft to align properly and seat in the under side of the the power head. Just be patient and cuss as needed. It just take practice and patience. One handy trick is to remove the spark plugs, which will allow you to rotate the flywheel clockwise with one hand while installing the LU with the other. Good luck. Holler if you get stuck. Here's a handy vid too. It's for a slightly different model, but all of the steps are basically the same.

Johnson 15 HP Outboard Water Pump Replacement - YouTube
1964 Evinrude Big Twin 40 Water Pump Replacement - YouTube

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Help, i got all the parts in, i removed the lower bolt on the shifter shaft, took out all 5 bolts from lower unit but it would nod come lose, shifter hole is still lined up i tried foward and reverse but did not break it lose, like i said early every thing looks coated with carbon should i put some lube in there?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Will it drop down at all?

Shift into reverse, hold the lower shift rod with needle nose, then shift into forward and try to get the shift rod out of the connector.

Hopefully the drive shaft is not seized into the powerhead. Do some prying downward on the gearcase, might just be tight up in there. If not, time to get serious ;)

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes it drops down a bit but the shift lever does not come lose, qill try needle nose in the morning sunday is funday or motor day,:)

kfa4303

Banned

+1. It's just being fussy. Hold the lower shift rod with some needle nose and try flipping it into FWD to separate the two halves. It should then drop right down. If that doesn't do it, you can give it a few love taps with a rubber mallet.

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WOW, got the lower unit off was a bit tight, took out old impeller and got new one in, how do you know if you got the key way lined up on impeller? i put on and took off a 1/2 dozen times before i could get bolts to line up. if key way is lined up i should be able to pull up on shat and it would move up a bit right? if it was not would there be a bind in there? i dont want to put it back together wrong??

Thanks again to all my first ever outboard what a adventure it is...........

kfa4303

Banned

Hi Mon. There should be a little slot on the inner ring of the impeller and the key should protrude ever so slightly from the drive shaft itself. When aligned properly, the impeller should slide all the way down the drive shaft until it lays flat on the impeller ware plate. Once the impeller is flat, you can then lower the housing while rotating the drive shaft clockwise. The housing will then lay flat at which point you can reinstall the housing bolts. Now, spin the drive shaft CW a few more times just to make sure the impeller fins are properly aligned. You should fell a nice tight, smooth motion. You can even see the inner hub of the impeller rotating, if you look down from above. You should now be able to reinstall the entire LU. Make sure the copper water uptake tube is in place on the under side of the power head and rotated in the proper orientation. You can now install the LU while also taking care that the copper tube seats on top of the housing without pinching the grommet. Be patient, it can take a while to get everything to alight just right. An extra set of hands and cussing a lot can be useful as well. You can also put the LU into FWD and rotate the prop clockwise by hand to help align the drive shaft splines with the under side of the power head. When everything is right, the LU should just slip right into place at which point you can replace the 4-5 main bolts, then connect the upper and lower shift shaft rods and you're done. It sounds like a lot, but once you do it a few times, it will take less than 20-30 minutes for you to change an impeller. Holler if you get stuck.

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok i see where i might have messed up, i put the impeller in the housing first then slid the whole unit down, Should i redo it and put the impeller on first then the housing, How hard is it to get the impeller in the housing if i put it on first..??
and the video i saw the guy removed the shaft for the lower unit is that wise??