1989 Johnson GT100 overheat less than 5 sec....Need to re-torque head bolts?

tlocus73

Seaman
Hello,
I took the boat out the other day and wasn't paying attention to the tell-tale spray. Must have clogged up and got the overheat alarm for/under 5 seconds so turn engine off and let it cool down.

I carry some pipe cleaners with me and used them to de-clog the tell-tale nozzle.

After a few minutes, I started the engine up, getting a good stream and ran it with no problems.

Again, the alarm only went off for 3-4 seconds before I shut the engine off.

Took it out today with no problems & ran great.

Do I have to check or re-torque the head bolts?

Thomas

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1989 Johnson GT100 overheat less than 5 sec....Need to re-torque head bolts?

Do a compression check. If they are ok, I don't see the need for a retorque.

tlocus73

Seaman
Re: 1989 Johnson GT100 overheat less than 5 sec....Need to re-torque head bolts?

Ok, will do :) appreciate the reply.

t

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Telltales do clog on occasion. A strong telltale indicates that the engine is getting cooling water from the lower unit. That's good. However, a telltale does not indicate that water is circulating through the block. If either (or both) of the thermostats get stuck shut, cooling water will not exit the block and one (or both) of the heads will overheat. You might want to rent a laser temp gun and just check the head temps when it's warmed up. Both heads should be between 143 and 150 degrees at idle. Usually automotive shops rent them cheaply by the day.