Thrust washer

jim mc

Cadet
I have a 2002 175 hp carbed Johnson o/b,i had a nagging issues with a perceived top end speed loss after 4000 rmp.
Well in doing the post season work I found another prop thrust washer in my tool bag & its different than the one presently on the shaft
this one has more of a moon shape< to the L/unit as opposed to a flat one I used this season Could this be causing the problem.
Some years ago I went from a S/S to alum so I think that's where the extra came from did I mix them up ? I now have an alum prop are they specifc to type/

Any one have this motor and have first hand knowledge with this
Thanks
jim

Last edited:

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Thrust washer

Do you mean the prop thrust washer? If you think you have a problem with one the only issue I could see would be if it was incorrect and sat at the wrong place on the shaft and you had exhaust exiting around the hub, causing your prop to slip. I would have to look at the prop and the washer to determine if you have the right one. Otherwise the washer has no bearing on the prop other than placement. You may have a hub problem which is causing the slip if any.

The thrust washer is not dependent on the type material of the prop, rather the prop design itself. Some non BRP props are used on BRP product and require different types of washers.

Last edited:

jim mc

Cadet
Re: Thrust washer

Thank you,
I intend now to run my spare prop and see if that cures the problem
I was trying to cover all bases after finding the extra prop thrust washer in my bag
Jim