1956 Johnson Seahorse 10 hp Coil question

Steve W.

Cadet
Hi all,

This may be a stupid question.

I am replacing the coils and was wondering, what is the best way to connect the spark plug wire to the coil? I was hoping there is a connector or something I could crimp to the wire to ensure a good connection, but it just looks like a screw sticking out of the coil.

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.

/r
Steve

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 1956 Johnson Seahorse 10 hp Coil question

HI Steve. Welcome to iboats. For staters, make sure you're using 7mm Copper Core spark plug wires, rather than modern graphite ones. You'll then snip one end of the wire flush. You should see a cross section showing the copper core. Now take the wire and TWIST it on the the small pin in the coil itself. Take care that the pin pierces into the core. You can now apply the boot to the opposite end. There are several different styles. Some pierce the insulation to make contact with the core, while others require that you strip back a bit of the insulation and crimp on a boot. Both are equally effective. Here are some great links that can walk you through the entire job.

3 HP Evinrude Lightwin Ignition System Tune-Up 1952-1967

http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-evinrude-outboards/grandads-johnson-seahorse-10-a-506678-2.html

http://forums.iboats.com/engine-fre...-change-coils-set-points-old-omcs-294072.html

Steve W.

Cadet

Thanks for the links.

I bought the wrong spark plug wires from O'Reilly's....they didn't have copper cores....

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

Most, if not all, chain auto parts stores do not carry copper core wire any more. You can try an older independent parts dealer that's been around for a while. Luckily, I have an antique auto part restorer / machine shop near me and he sells it to me by the foot. You may have to search off the beaten path.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Doesn't necessarily have to be copper, but metallic core. NAPA, ebay, the dealer are other sources.

Pull out more wire than you need through the mag plate, then twist the coil onto the wire a few times. Then as you push the coil down to its resting place, feed the wire back out through the mag plate. I like to add a drop of dielectric grease into the coil cavity before inserting the wire to prevent corrosion.

kfa4303

Banned

+1. I've been able to buy 7mm copper core wire from my local NAPA for a few $ a foot. They usually have a spool behind the counter they can cut to length.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

18-5226 is the part number I use for a 100'roll