2003 Johnson 115/80 Jet

cnpitbull

Recruit
I'm looking at buying a 2003 G3 jet boat with an '03 4-stroke 2-cylinder 80hp jet on it. I took it out for a test drive yesterday and the engine sounds great but there seems to be an issue with the jet drive. When we floored the accelerator, it sounded like the jet had sucked something up in it (revving up and not getting full thrust). The boat ran fine at lower speeds but struggled to get on plane with three people in it. The owner thinks that the jet drive is just taking in too much water and needs to be shimmed. Does this sound like a plausible solution? If not, what else could it be? I don't mind spending a little bit of money to get it running right, but if it could take a grand or more I'll just look elsewhere.

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2003 Johnson 115/80 Jet

The shimming idea sound reasonable. I have never done them, never have worked much with jets. However, the pump is crucial to performance. Sadly, jet boats have never impressed me and I never know just how they should perform.

AlTn

Commander
Re: 2003 Johnson 115/80 Jet

fwiw..I've witnessed a 50/35 jet on a 16' aluminum vhull plane with 3 people. Over the years how many ads have we seen with that infamous, to me anyway, " All it needs is....."? Relative to the overall cost of the boat, vehicle, house, etc. it always seems miniscule, but somehow the seller wants the buyer to fix it "once the deal is done."

I'd suggest that he be willing to get it straightened out, then retest. Make your offer. Unless the deal is such that you can replace the jet drive or some other engine components and still feel comfortable, another similar boat will come along. They always do.