1993 15HP Evinrude gears

rscholar

Petty Officer 3rd Class
A year ago October I purchased a 1993 15 HP Evinrude outboard motor (E15RLETB). Because of health reasons, I didn't use the motor until October this year. I really had no problem starting the motor, but within 15 minutes running it stopped going in forward. I tried reverse, and had that for a little while, then that gave out. I know, I KNOW I didn't check or lube the lower unit before going out to try the motor for my first time, but I need to know where to start to fix whatever happened to the motor. My health is getting better, so I want to use the motor next summer, and would like to work on fixing it this winter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. One more thing, I hate to pull start the motor, is it difficult to put electric start on this motor? Thanks!!

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1993 15HP Evinrude gears

Pull the top vent plug in the lower unit and use a tie wrap to stick down the gearcase and check for oil. I you have oil on the end of the tie wrap, it is most likely the connector for the shift rod. It probably is loose and not shifting the lower unit. You will need to pull the lower unit down and see if it is connected.

rscholar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wow, if that is all the problem is, I'm stoked! I'll look into the connection problem....Thanks "multimech!"

rscholar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I opened the upper vent hole, and oil started flowing out. Since I have a "long shaft" motor, do I look for the shift connecting rod just above the oil vent plug, or go to the (extension) higher connection (set of bolts)? NOTE: I unbolted the lower unit (just above vent hole), saw about an inch of the shifter/connecting rod, so my guess is that I have to unbolt the top part of the "long shaft extension piece" to see the top of the shifter rod?

Last edited: