'48 Johnson 2.5 hp recoil spring

Marty A.

Recruit
New and green so any help will be appreciated. I just acquired a 1948 Johnson Sea Horse outboard that has been in storage for about 50 years. Looks pretty pristine and I hope I can get it going. I did a really dumb thing though. The recoil was working just fine but I took the top cover off anyway just for a look see. Naturally the spring popped out and uncoiled before my eyes. Is there an easy way to recoil it and get it back into position (a proper method), or do I just keep trying to recoil it until I finally get it back where it is supposed to be? There is probably a correct way to do it or do I just go with trial and error?
Thanx,
Marty A.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: '48 Johnson 2.5 hp recoil spring

Everybody has their favorite way. Mine is just lay the recoil housing on the bench top, put the outer spring loop over the pin in the housing, and while holding it down simply wind the spring in one coil at a time, like coiling up a garden hose. Works on 90% of the starters out there.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: '48 Johnson 2.5 hp recoil spring

I use Franks method as well. The hardest part is the final loop.

Wear safety glasses your first time, or really any time for that matter. Those springs are quicker than you!